shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond is on hold - ready to pull the trigger - Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KismetSky

Rough_Rock
I've been lurking for the past week or so ever since I began my search for an E-ring. At a local B&M I have on hold:

Lazare Kaplan
Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.33 - 6.42 x 3.86 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade: AGS 3.0 (J)
Clarity Grade: AGS 2 (VVS2)
Carat Weight 0.948

Table: 56.4%
Crown Angle: 34.1
Crown Height: 14.8%
Girdle: Faceted, 0.9% to 3.3%
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion Depth: 43.1%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Girdle Length: 80%
Total Depth: 60.5%
Culet: Very Small

HCA of 1.2

Does this sound good for a price of ~$5,200?
I understand that Lazares carry a price premium but this seems to be on par with ACAs. How do they compare otherwise? Is there anything exceptional about a Lazare? I don't mind buying just a normal Ideal. From searching, it looks like I could save between 500-1000 by going for a slightly smaller, AGS 0, non-branded stone. The B&Ms don't have anything comparable and cheaper, but I do have to factor in the convenience factor of being able to take the ring to the store for free adjustments, cleanings, appraisals, etc.

I have to thank the many people here for everything I've learned so far. The biggest problem was getting over the J color. After seeing all the pictures and posts regarding color, I'm finally over that.

So should I go ahead and buy it? I'm in no rush to propose, but having the ring sooner means I'll have it ready if the opportunity presents itself.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Looks good by the numbers! LK is a well known brand name of ideal cut diamonds, no concerns there. As always, I recommend obtaining a Sarin / OGI / Helium report that discloses the facet-by-facet structure of the diamond to determine whether the range between the high and low measurements that comprise the average crown and pavilion angle measurements are within an acceptable tolerance and have the diamond quality verified by an independent appraiser in your area - regardless of whether you purchase the diamond online or in a brick and mortar store - a list of appraisers can be found via the Resources / Appraisers link which can be found at the top of this page.

KismetSky

Rough_Rock
So after some heavy consideration and searching (I checked PS extensively), I''ve found a comparable ring on Blue Nile:

Measurements: 6.21 - 6.23 x 3.87 mm
Light Performance: 0
Proportion Factors: 0
Finish: 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Carat Weight: 0.923
Fluorescence: Negligible
Comments:
"AGSL 8244404 H&A" has been inscribed on the girdle of this diamond.

Table: 55.3%
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown Height: 15.8%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.4% to 3.9%
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion Depth: 42.8%
Star Length: 54%
Lower Girdle Length: 76%
Total Depth: 62.2%
Culet: Pointed

This one is considerably cheaper, 3900 compared to the B&M Lazare at 5200. This one also scores a 1.2 on HCA. I''ve done the only logical thing I could think of and ordered the stone. I''ll be comparing the Blue Nile one with the Lazare one tomorrow night at the store. Based on the specs, I don''t see how there could be a 1300 difference between the two, meaning I''ll most likely keep the BN one. I put some thought into how this ring is definitely not going to be sold/traded up, so i don''t need the Lazare name.

I''ll have to do some reasearch on insurance now...

Lexie

Shiny_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2008 12:16:30 PM
Author: KismetSky

So after some heavy consideration and searching (I checked PS extensively), I''ve found a comparable ring on Blue Nile:

Measurements: 6.21 - 6.23 x 3.87 mm
Light Performance: 0
Proportion Factors: 0
Finish: 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Carat Weight: 0.923
Fluorescence: Negligible
Comments:
''AGSL 8244404 H&A'' has been inscribed on the girdle of this diamond.

Table: 55.3%
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown Height: 15.8%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.4% to 3.9%
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion Depth: 42.8%

Star Length: 54%
Lower Girdle Length: 76%
Total Depth: 62.2%
Culet: Pointed

This one is considerably cheaper, 3900 compared to the B&M Lazare at 5200. This one also scores a 1.2 on HCA. I''ve done the only logical thing I could think of and ordered the stone. I''ll be comparing the Blue Nile one with the Lazare one tomorrow night at the store. Based on the specs, I don''t see how there could be a 1300 difference between the two, meaning I''ll most likely keep the BN one. I put some thought into how this ring is definitely not going to be sold/traded up, so i don''t need the Lazare name.

I''ll have to do some reasearch on insurance now...
It looks to be very nice by the numbers and that is great that you will be able to compare the two stones to see which you prefer.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I also have a Lazare Kaplan (though a square emerald, not a round), but the only reason I went this route is because I hadn''t found PS, didn''t have all the tools needed to determine a great cut and felt that by buying the LK stone I''d KNOW I got a great cut. Also, my stone wasn''t priced any higher than the unbranded square emerald cuts. Anyway, if I HAD found PS, I would have definitely considered a different stone. Now there are so many ways to determine the quality of cut on round brillants that I wouldn''t really consider paying a premium for the LK stone. If you can get an AGS Ideal, which will most likely perform just as well, then why not save the money or keep the same budget and go with a bigger stone, you know?

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!!

As the others have already given you great advice, I just thought it was worth mentioning that VVS2 is really very high clarity indeed, which you are almost certainly paying a premium for.

If you are absolutely set that VVS2 is what you want, then that''s great. :)

However, many people might like to drop to even VS2 clarity (the great majority of which are still eye clean) to get a stone which (as long as it''s eyeclean) still looks exactly the same as VVS2 clarity, but which costs less. (In fact, many PSers will opt for an eyeclean SI1 diamond, but as you are starting out from VVS2 this might be just too much of a shift for you!).

Of course, moving to a VS2 (or SI1) clarity stone might also allow you to get a stone of a higher colour and still keep within your budget - if that is of interest.

By the way, I *love* that you have found a stone so close to 1ct but still under - that''s an awesome way to save money! :)

x x x

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Hi!
Clarity isn''t that expensive for a J color, not a big deal I think.
I''m clarity sensitive, but not color.
Good luck with your purchase!

KismetSky

Rough_Rock
NewEnglandLady: I am definitely leaning towards the Blue Nile stone as long as it''s comparable to the LK at the store.

The setting I picked out is rather thin and petite; it looks great with a .90 - 1.00 carat stone in it.

Cleo: At first I was very adamant about increasing the color rating and decreasing the clarity. After looking around on pricescope and seeing everyone''s various rings with J colored centers, I''ve warmed up to them. ''Warm'' being the key word here since I read somewhere that "J''s carry a warmth not found in higher color stones". After I read that, my bias for a more ''clear/white'' stone went right out the window.

All my searches have been set with VS2 as the lowest clarity. It''s just more coincidence that this particular stone is a VVS2.
9.gif
I haven''t been able to find one with similar HCA and AGS ratings with a lower clarity. In any case, it makes it easier to compare to the LK in the store. Thanks for the suggestion though.
5.gif

QueenMum: I''m definitely clarity sensitive as well. Even seeing an inclusion with a loupe would irk me to no end!

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome - the BN stone sounds like really good value too!! :)

I bought a (very cheap) J colour pear recently and I love it!

Looking forward to seeing photos of your stone!!

x x x

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results