shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond is hazy/milky...no fluorescence. Am I crazy?

jennmae01

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I would really appreciate your opinions and any advice you may have re: my recent purchase.

I received my new ring yesterday and have noticed that the diamond doesn't appear to be as crisp and sharp as my previous diamond. The best way that I can describe its appearance is to call it slightly hazy and cloudy. This cloudiness is most apparent in direct sunlight, but I do notice it in most other lighting conditions as well. The diamond is a WF ES 1.207 H SI1 (totally eye clean from all angles) with 'negligible' fluorescence. For reference, my previous diamond was a WF ACA 0.72 F SI1.

I don't believe this to be a cleaning issue, as I noticed the haziness immediately upon opening the box and have cleaned the diamond multiple times since then. Am I just seeing the difference between an ACA and an ES, despite the fact that both diamonds are graded AGS 0? Perhaps this diamond just has a different personality?

I have attached the pictures that WF sent me after my ring had shipped. I did notice the haziness in these pictures, but had attributed it to the lighting and photography. Am I being too picky?

vatche-6-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-platinum-for-whiteflash_39070_f_0.jpg

vatche-6-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-platinum-for-whiteflash_39070_g__2_.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cloudiness has nothing to do with cut quality.

Not all diamonds with SI1 clarity grade are equal.
Some have cloudiness that is so widely distributed that they can't mark a specific cloud on the plot diagram.

By any chance does your lab report's comment section state something like, "Clarity grade based on clouds not shown." ?

Since this bugs you and if you are in your return period consider sending it back to WF to change to another diamond.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Jennmae,
I am sorry for your dissappointment. That is not the reaction we expect when a customer opens the box! If you will email me your name I will check your order details and take a look at the lab report and our backend notes on the diamond. [email protected]

Like Kenny said, we will work with you to make sure you get a diamond you love.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not be happy with that diamond....it's a good thing WF has already reached out to look into and fix this!

nukezero

Rough_Rock
Looks like a lot of clouds in there...

firewill65

Rough_Rock
I'm not a diamond guru by any means...but I would not be happy. Return it as others have said...if you don't, you will always look at it and be unhappy.

jennmae01

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your comments and advice.

Kenny - I checked the AGS cert and it does say 'the clarity grade of this diamond is based on clouds that are not shown'.

I have been in contact with WF and will be returning the diamond. Hopefully I have better luck the second time around...

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You are right OP, the pix do show a cloudy stone. It can happen and WF is being great about it, I am sure that they will do everything in their power to make sure you are happy the second time around. Just ensure that if you are insisting on an SI1 and many can be really nice stones that you get one without clarity issues that can affect light reflection. If you are in doubt about an SI1 and want to be sure perhaps go up one clarity grade but I do have to say that many SI stones do not have this problem at all. Perhaps you were just not aware what you need to check, another reason to always do homework before you buy but fortunately today there are great vendors with a great return policy. Good luck and keep us posted.

jennmae01

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input Ovi. I am definitely not insistent on SI1 clarity, but I was looking to maximize my budget so I was *hoping* for an eye-clean SI1.

You are right that I did not do enough research and didn't realize that non-plotted clouds could affect light performance. I did ask why the diamond had missed the ACA designation and was told that it was a near miss due to the crown angle and slight discrepancies in the hearts patterning. I was told that it absolutely had comparable performance to that of an ACA, which I believe are screened for any clarity issues that impact light performance. Thankfully WF has a great return policy and it looks like I won't be stuck with a diamond that I'm not happy with.

I will keep you all updated as things move along.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results