shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Inclusions / GIA Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miozza

Rough_Rock
Two quick questions:

1. I am looking at a diamond with the following characteristics: Color: G, Clarity: VS2, Carat: 1.48, Depth: 62.3%, table: 57%
Under the 10x, it looks very good, however, when I got a copy of the GIA certification, it showed a number of clouds, including one sizable one on the table of the diamond. Should I be concerned about this if I can''t see it through the microscope? Just a side note, I have a very untrained eye so it''s not surprising that I can''t see it.

2. The date on the GIA grading report is March 12, 2001. Should I be concerned that grading date is older? Does this mean that the diamond has been around for awhile and that noone else wanted it, possibly because of the cloud in the middle of the diamond?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Abazias

Rough_Rock
I would not be concerned with the cloud in the middle of the table. The diamond would not have been graded a VS2 clarity by GIA if it was eye visible. GIA has very high standards and the grading is accurate. In a lower grade, you might be more concerned in the placement and size of the inclusion. Remember, VS grading means very slight inclusions and you are viewing a nice diamond. The two-year-old certificate should not be a concern if everything else written of the certificate is in good standards. The diamond could have been a trade-in or has been sitting in ones inventory for a while. Does not necessary mean it is not a high-end diamond. Look at the girdle thickness and if the stone as strong blue fluorescence. Check the AGS grading chart on Pricescope and have the diamond appraised by an independent appraiser prior to purchasing it.

Good Luck,
Felicia

miozza

Rough_Rock
Thanks felicia. I'll check the AGS grading chart on Pricescope like you suggested. In terms of the girdle thickness and the fluorescence, it is thin to thick, faceted and none, respectively. Also, on the gia cert, the diamond has an extra facet. Do you know anything about this?

Again thanks, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

melb

Rough_Rock
Hello! I am interested in knowing if you can find out the crown and pavillion angles when you have GIA certification...must this be done by me with an independent appraiser?

Thanks!

Abazias

Rough_Rock
Hi Mark,

The ideal range for the girdle thickness is thin, medium, to slightly thick. The grading on the diamond you selected is thin to thick which means there is a little more weight in the girdle. Not a bad grading but it is not ideal either. An extra facet is very common and is the result of polishing out any nicks, chips or naturals. Look at the symmetry description on the certificate and see if it is excellent or very good and the alignment of the facets will not be interfered. In addition, none grading for Fluoresces means the appearance of fluoresce is not present in the diamond.

Felicia

Abazias

Rough_Rock
Hello Melb,

You can ask for a sarin report on the diamond and this will show you the crown and pavilion angles. If the diamond dealer you are working with is not able to obtain the information, an independent appraiser should be able to perform a sarin. Most companies will allow the diamond to be verified before purchasing.

Later Gator,
Felicia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results