shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond in the process of dual certification

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m selling my AGS VS1 G color mrb..Libby...The potential buyer..Abe Mor...said that AGS is sometimes off by one or two grades...He thinks it‘s a G..but not sure. He initially asked to take it out of the setting to see if it really is a G. I guess he wasn’t confident..so he is sending it to GIA to be certified with my permission..on his dime..If it comes back as a G I get what I’m asking. If it comes back as an H he will reconsider. I have a bottom line so won’t go below a certain number. I’ll just take it back and have an extra beautiful ring. They are very professional, and honest...I’ve been very happy with their communication. No matter what happens I would definitely consider them again. Come back to see how GIA grades it if you heard all the talk about AGS being soft on color. I should know in a few days.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just because GIA might call it an H doesn’t mean they are right - it just means there is a discrepancy. GIA is not the end all be all of diamond grading. Just don’t let them knock you down on price. You still have an AGS grading certificate that states G color.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just because GIA might call it an H doesn’t mean they are right - it just means there is a discrepancy. GIA is not the end all be all of diamond grading. Just don’t let them knock you down on price. You still have an AGS grading certificate that states G color.

@MissGotRocks I agree with you..I’m already taking a hit. I won’t go below a certain price. If he says it’s an H so I can give you $2k less..I’ll just keep it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissGotRocks I agree with you..I’m already taking a hit. I won’t go below a certain price. If he says it’s an H so I can give you $2k less..I’ll just keep it.

Good for you! The ring is beautiful and I wouldn’t be undersold on it.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee—you own quite a few GIA graded diamonds—how do they compare in terms of color? Bc I recall you loving Libby in all her G glory. So if she did turn out not to be a G, but an H—would you still opt for an F? Or would you be happy with a G for your new upgrade? I’m a firm believer that things happen for a reason, lol.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee—you own quite a few GIA graded diamonds—how do they compare in terms of color? Bc I recall you loving Libby in all her G glory. So if she did turn out not to be a G, but an H—would you still opt for an F? Or would you be happy with a G for your new upgrade? I’m a firm believer that things happen for a reason, lol.

@nala I have GIA H and I’s.. She’s whiter than they are. I hesitated about getting another G because I thought that I may notice tint in the 3 carat because it’s larger than Libby. I also was concerned because of all the talk about AGS being soft on color. After seeing your E..that sealed the deal. I wasn't getting an E...but F was closer..It‘s your fault..:lol:...My husband told me to just get the F so I didn’t stress about it..I think I was driving him crazy. Even if the GIA says she is an H...I would take her back and still love her. Haha

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala I have GIA H and I’s.. She’s whiter than they are. I hesitated about getting another G because I thought that I may notice tint in the 3 carat because it’s larger than Libby. I also was concerned because of all the talk about AGS being soft on color. After seeing your E..that sealed the deal. I wasn't getting an E...but F was closer..It‘s your fault..:lol:...My husband told me to just get the F so I didn’t stress about it..I think I was driving him crazy. Even if the GIA says she is an H...I would take her back and still love her. Haha

Hahahaha
Yes. You will and you will continue to love her! Exciting!! I’m sure she will be a G if you can see a difference.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you know I think you need to hold firm on your price no matter what GIA says. Hopefully it comes back as a G. Also because she is whiter (with your own eyes which are trustworthy) than your GIA H and I it is looking good that she really is a (GIA) G.

If not you still have an AGS cert stating it's a G. And ideal light return. You cannot beat that. Hold strong @MamaBee and fingers crossed GIA agrees with AGS.

staystrong.gif

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
As you know I think you need to hold firm on your price no matter what GIA says. Hopefully it comes back as a G. Also because she is whiter (with your own eyes which are trustworthy) than your GIA H and I it is looking good that she really is a (GIA) G.

If not you still have an AGS cert stating it's a G. And ideal light return. You cannot beat that. Hold strong @MamaBee and fingers crossed GIA agrees with AGS.

staystrong.gif

Haha..I’m already preparing myself..I know they will be able to sell that diamond for way more than I would be getting for it. I am anxious to see what GIA says it is.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
She’s 2.03..

I am going to be following this because I’m super curious what the second hand market for a stone is. For the past couple of months, I’ve been pricing new stones in this exact range. I ended up buying a new 2.23. Good luck and I hope you get a ton of money for her! If not, you do have 9 other fingers! ;)2;)2
You also may want to mention it to Amy/David. A few months ago, they helped me sell a 1.8, F, VVS1 (not super ideal) and I didn’t take too much of a financial hit. They sometimes know people who are looking. A few months ago, David and I were looking for my stone, but could not find anything and I would have swooped yours up in a second.
Also, is that Libby in your avatar? What a beauty! Are you keeping the setting? You may be able to get a lot more if you sell her whole.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am going to be following this because I’m super curious what the second hand market for a stone is. For the past couple of months, I’ve been pricing new stones in this exact range. I ended up buying a new 2.23. Good luck and I hope you get a ton of money for her! If not, you do have 9 other fingers! ;)2;)2
You also may want to mention it to Amy/David. A few months ago, they helped me sell a 1.8, F, VVS1 (not super ideal) and I didn’t take too much of a financial hit. They sometimes know people who are looking. A few months ago, David and I were looking for my stone, but could not find anything and I would have swooped yours up in a second.
Also, is that Libby in your avatar? What a beauty! Are you keeping the setting? You may be able to get a lot more if you sell her whole.

@NicoleNeedsHelp Thank you... I mentioned selling Libby to David many months ago. He said he was getting a new website up. He never mentioned anything again so I just assumed he wouldn’t do it. I have a feeling that the Gia may come back as a vvs2...If it comes back an H it would be a wash and I would expect the same price. TBH Libby is like my kid..lol...The reason why I didn’t sell her here was because I didn’t want her picked apart and analyzed. I’m seriously thinking of not letting them buy it if they go below the price I set. I seriously would just have her set in a pendant. I tend to like little diamond pendants...I have a Tiffany one that’s .72. It’s a sparkle bomb. I can’t imagine wearing a 2.03 as a pendant. I better make up my mind before he calls me.....

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
AGS may not be softer on color... I was deciding a diamond with dial cert around a month or so ago.. GIA stated it was a J... AGS stated that it was a K..

There were other discrepancy in the dimensions and so on between the two cert... And the dual grading was done within the same period.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes these things depend on chance, who you happen to get that day and what they had for lunch (well, maybe not what they had for lunch, but you get the idea.) I know its supposed to be highly regulated, but it is a human being on the other end doing the grading.

Whenever I call customer service and get an answer I'm not happy with, I politely thank them, hang up and then call back and see what the next operator tells me. I repeat until I get what I want. Same set of facts, same company, but a different human on the other end of the phone = a different outcome.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes these things depend on chance, who you happened to get that day and what the had for lunch (well, maybe not what they had for lunch, but you get the idea.) I know its supposed to be highly regulated, but its a human being on the other end doing the grading.

Whenever I call customer service and get an answer I'm not happy with, I politely thank them, hang up and then call back and see what the next operator tells me. I repeat until I get what I want. I've never had the method fail. Same set of facts, same company, but a different human on the other end of the phone = a different outcome.

@RunningwithScissors I’ve also done that! It does work! I hope I don’t get a GIA person that had a liquid lunch! :lol:

The trouble I’m having is trying to decide what amount is acceptable since I’m not going to get what I originally paid for it. I have a number which I think is fair...If he comes back with a GIA H I think my number will be the same. If he doesn‘t want it at that price...Plan B...lol At this point I miss it and may be happy to get it back. Don’t read this @nala :lol:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@RunningwithScissors I’ve also done that! It does work! I hope I don’t get a GIA person that had a liquid lunch! :lol:

The trouble I’m having is trying to decide what amount is acceptable since I’m not going to get what I originally paid for it. I have a number which I think is fair...If he comes back with a GIA H I think my number will be the same. If he doesn‘t want it...Plan B...lol

Fingers crossed for you!

Initiating a Vulcan Mind Meld with the GIA dude/dudette....G...the color is GGGGGGGGGG!!!!

vulcan-mind-meld.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off by two grades??? Um, that would be highly unusual and rare. I honestly think it's the borderline scores that end up in that predicament. I should know, I've had two dual graded stones. I just won't tell about it on this thread, though, because every stone is different. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Off by two grades??? Um, that would be highly unusual and rare. I honestly think it's the borderline scores that end up in that predicament. I should know, I've had two dual graded stones. I just won't tell about it on this thread, though, because every stone is different. :lol:

@diamondseeker2006 Spill your guys woman! :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both diamonds came back from GIA as F’s!!!! Libby was an F not a G just like I thought all along! I’ll miss her but I’m happy she will go to a new home!
@nala

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both diamonds came back from GIA as F’s!!!! Libby was an F not a G just like I thought all along! I’ll miss her but I’m happy she will go to a new home!
@nala

Omg! Libby is an F!!!! No wonder you loved her sooo much! And yay for your new one! You will love her even more! Congrats!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Omg! Libby is an F!!!! No wonder you loved her sooo much! And yay for your new one! You will love her even more! Congrats!

Thank you @nala! It was so hard to make the decision to try to sell her because I love her so much..lol I’m happy I went for the F in the upgrade because she will probably sparkle and appear like Libby but larger! lol

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
That's awesome!

Will the buyer give you any more for her because she was graded higher?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results