shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond in hand...but not set.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringling

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. Although I am very new to pricescope I have learned a lot about diamonds in my time here. Recently, (across the past 5 years) I decided to solidify my commitment to my s.o. One of the wonderful things about this is that both her and her mother are very excited about using the diamond that was in her mother''s original wedding ring. Although smaller than I would like (something closer to .5ct) the round diamond is of a good quality and is priceless due to the sentimentality. Her parents had it appraised at a local store a few years ago and it is 0.38ct, G, Vs2 and the jeweler gave a sale value of 1100.00 if they were to sell it at that time. Now that you know a bit about the diamond, here are some specs on a desired setting.

While looking at settings my s.o. seemed to be more interested in white gold over platinum. The basis for this decision did not seem to come from how they felt or looked so much but rather the apparent ability to more easily remove scratches and wear. After reading on here, however, this does not neccesarily seem to be the case. Information on the variations of metals would be helpful (resources are appreciated as well as opinions). One of the types of settings that I keep seeing that looks to be her style are those from Vatche, particularily the Royal Crown for Round Center with the unique way the prongs cross to almost enclose the base of the diamond. She has expressed interest in a cathedral style diamond and an accent diamond on each side of the setting would be perfect . The drawback is that I can only find Vatche rings that hold diamonds of 0.5ct or higher. Do they accomidate smaller diamonds or does anyone know of similar settings that do?

I appreciate any help you can give on this and if you need me to be more specific or have alternative ways for me to get answers to these questions I am all ears
22.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would call a vatche dealer and tell them what you have and see if they know if vatche can make it to fit your stone. they do a lot of minor changes to their setting so they very well might be able to accomodate your request.

also, check out this thread. it''s all photo''s of rings that have center stones under 1 ct so you/she might get an idea of some other settings she might like.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/

susi

Shiny_Rock
ringling, just recently I have had a stone remounted using 18K yellow so I CAN polish it to keep it shiney. I use a jewelers cloth and rubbing it once or twice a week keeps it looking new ( almost!) I''ve had several platinum shanks on my rings over the years and except for the vatche made mount on my Tiffany Lucida, all the plat mounts have become scratched and dull.

Not living near my jeweler prevents me from keeping my rings shiney as a polishing cloth on plat just does not work as well as on the softer gold.

ringling

Rough_Rock
Great input mrssalvo and susi. I will definately check out the vatche dealers to see what they can do in such a situation. Along with that, what a great thread for the under 1ct''s!

The information on platinum vs gold is also great and I will keep this in minid during selection.

Again, any other input people have would be wonderful. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results