shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Help Needed!

effers

Rough_Rock
Hello PS!

So... I think I've finally narrowed down the diamond specifications for an engagement ring I'm looking to propose with but I do still have a few questions. Any help/feedback is much appreciated!

Looking for a Round Brilliant stone with the following properties:
1.4 - 1.6 carats
G, H, or I colour (how much does this really vary between the grades? I know this grouping is labelled as near-colourless but would someone really be able to tell between an I and G?)
VS1 or better clarity (VS2 clarity - should I be concerned on inclusions not visible to the naked eye? I guess it would really depend on the inclusion location on the actual diamond but wondering if the cost savings on moving to a VS2, or lower, is worthwhile; if there was an inclusion, where would the ideal location be on the diamond viewed from directly above?)
AGS Ideal or GIA Excellent cut (going for the best cut possible)

I'm sure I'll post more as I have any questions.

Thanks in advance!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
It's not needed to go for VS1+, most VS2 is eye clean and you can even go down to SI1 if it's eye clean. My diamond is SI1 and it's completely eye clean

dianacatapang

Rough_Rock
I find your post very interesting. Gemologist can definitely answer that but I’m sure you can also get ideas and answers through diamond online stores. You can read blogs on diamonds. You can try http://www.brillianteers.com/blog/ to help you out with this.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
effers|1315435834|3012067 said:
Hello PS!

So... I think I've finally narrowed down the diamond specifications for an engagement ring I'm looking to propose with but I do still have a few questions. Any help/feedback is much appreciated!

Looking for a Round Brilliant stone with the following properties:
1.4 - 1.6 carats
G, H, or I colour (how much does this really vary between the grades? I know this grouping is labelled as near-colourless but would someone really be able to tell between an I and G?)
VS1 or better clarity (VS2 clarity - should I be concerned on inclusions not visible to the naked eye? I guess it would really depend on the inclusion location on the actual diamond but wondering if the cost savings on moving to a VS2, or lower, is worthwhile; if there was an inclusion, where would the ideal location be on the diamond viewed from directly above?)
AGS Ideal or GIA Excellent cut (going for the best cut possible)

I'm sure I'll post more as I have any questions.

Thanks in advance!

If you can, I would definitely go to a store and view diamonds of different color grades. Make sure you are looking at ideal cut diamonds and try to look in a variety of lighting conditions if possible. Diamonds will look different in jewelry store spotlighting than they do in most normal lighting conditions. Some people can tell the difference between I and G and some can't. Ultimately you have to decide if the difference is important to you.

VS2 clarity should not have any inclusions visible to the naked eye but you can always check with the vendor or view in person. Most VS2 are totally eye-clean and many SI1 are.

Are you shopping locally or online? If you are shopping locally ask for the GIA report number or AGS number and you can look up the proportions online. If you want to post them to get feedback feel free, or you can use the HCA tool and cut class tool to help with cut.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results