shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Halo ring for $2000 or under

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
My husband and I have been married for 20 years and since we eloped when we were young and poor, I'm just now getting a diamond. I want the buggest, best ring for the money, obviously. I think I've found the ring. It's a James Allen royal halo, which is preset. Opinions? 2015-10-12_16.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, let me ask. Is a round the only shape you'll consider?
Does it have to have diamonds in the shank?

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! That is so special. The ring is beautiful. I say if you like it, go for it! You deserve it. I had kind of a shot gun wedding 21 years ago this November. I was 5 months pregnant and my husband was adamant that we get married. All we had were little 2MM art carved white gold wedding bands. We were married at the courthouse and week after that my husband lost his band lol. Don't be like me, once I started looking for the ring I never had, I purchased one diamond ring, then another and another LOL. Diamonds can be very addictive [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
I actually like square rings better but wanted the most sparkle for the money. This ring has great finger coverage, equivalent to 1.5 carats (7.5mmx7.5mm). My favorite is art deco rings, but can't afford them. Would like the band to be something other than a plain band.

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much CharmedOne! We were 17 and 18 at the time then raised 3 kids. Not rolling in the money so this is a sacrifice my husband is willing to make so that I can have a ring finally. Also paying towards one of my daughters' wedding right now so money is tight!

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
Here are the specs on the first ring. No GIA report, just an appraisal. Can live without it if it looks good. image_15.png

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/commitment-solitaire-ring-14k-white-gold-14k-white-gold-5858w14-1 would be my choice if I was going for sparkle and size for $$.

Generally preset rings do not use the best quality stones, you may be disappointed with the sparkle. But Brian Gavin uses good melee stones and that will help you. They have a haloed version as well:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/coronet-engagement-rings-halo-settings-5881w14

If you'd consider preloved and are open to preset, the rings from the Neil Lane collection at Kays often have upgraded stones and their resale value is terrible so you may be able to pick up a $4k+ set on ebay for under $2000. I saw some decent double halos when I was looking for something else the other day.

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback :) I really don't want a cluster ring since in my mind they don't say "engagement ring". Afraid those in your link look too much like cluser rings. Although the price on that second one is tempting. The James Allen I posted has a .58ct center stone, supposedly G-H in color with SI and there's a 60 day return policy. I'd be afraid to buy diamonds on ebay. This is my one shot to get a diamond ring so I don't want to be disappointed or mess it up :)

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Raemoore, I just want to make sure you noticed in the specs that the James Allen ring has 13 stones in the centre totalling .58 carats. It isn't a single .58 carat diamond. It is a nice looking ring and will have really good presence.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You say you want the biggest and best, well that isn't going to be a cluster ring. At least, not for center stone size or quality.

If you want the blingiest? Sure a cluster ring will be one of the blingiest.

For example, I was looking on James Allen, and though I know you want diamonds in the band, if you bought one of their plain shank halos, the center stone could be .6+ cts for a well cut j+ stone. And that's more than the ctw of that ring.

Then you say you like art deco. There are antique rings out there than will provide more finger coverage if that's what you're after.

But that's not to say you're not allowed to like cluster rings. Your definitely are.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's interesting that the square ring you posted is exactly the same arrangement of stones as the round one, but the round one is apparently not a cluster but the cushion is?

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
The square has a smaller center stone and has a double halo vs the round with a bigger center stone and a single halo. It's also 6.5mmx6.5mm vs the 7.5mmx7.5mm for the round.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Raemoore3|1445519675|3941008 said:
The square has a smaller center stone and has a double halo vs the round with a bigger center stone and a single halo.

They're both cluster rings. I guess at what point something becomes a halo is up for debate, but both rings have their centers listed as "ctw" and are made up of 13 stones, which would be the definition of a cluster ring.

Also, the center stone on the cushion ring is 6.5x6.5 (including what you're calling the first halo) the outer adds another 1mm on each side so the cushion ring is actually larger on the hand than the round because it will be 8.5x8.5mm.

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
Niel, you consider it a cluster ring? I guess I was thinking it more of a halo because the center stone is clearly bigger than the surrounding stones.

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
I guess my personal definition of a cluser ring is stones of similar size grouped together.

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
I'm happy if the middle stone is at least twice the size of the surrounding stones and the finger coverage is good. No way can I afford a 7.5mmx7.5mm in a single diamond. Total is .95ctw so I'm thinking this is the best option. Looked at building a ring but I like the look of the whiter stones and the best I could find with a setting I liked was around $2500 which is over budget. May look at plainer bands, but for an Anniversary/long overdue engagement ring, I feel like the two princess stones and the pave stones set it apart from your typical solitaire.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.43-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-569309

60/60 with 1.5 HCA score. Nice white color and likely to be eye clean at that size. Your total ct wt would be the same ~1ct.

How do you feel about this setting? You could even square off the stone a bit with it.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/vintage/14k-white-gold-octagon-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49499

it's SLIGHTLY over budget, but you can probably get an advantage discount on the stone and a $100 referral discount that would bring it really close.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Cut on the oval is Meh.

How do you feel about a pear? Both a pear and an oval are going to face up larger than a round in the smaller carat sizes.

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
Kb1gra, in love with that setting! With that diamond it makes it more expensive than $2000 :(

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Raemoore3|1445522455|3941024 said:
Kb1gra, in love with that setting! With that diamond it makes it more expensive than $2000 :(

Chat with them and ask if there is an "advantage discount" available on the stone.

You can also get a referral code from one of us that will take another $100 off.

So you might be able to get reallllllly close to that $2000.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Raemoore3|1445521587|3941019 said:

I dont think this oval looks that bad. It is very long (which will give more finger coverage). Yes, you could ask for the center
to be a tad better but with a tight budget, wanting finger coverage, and wanting some nice bling, something has to give. I think
this would make a pretty ring and would be nicer than the pre-set rings. This would definitely give you the "engagement" ring
feel that you worry about not getting with some of the cluster rings. You can ask the gemologist to take a look at it and see
what their opinion is.

I would ask them how big the halo would end up being with this stone (in mm) to get a better idea of finger coverage.

If you were willing to go with a halo with out stones on it you can probably get this setting for an oval for $670ish which
opens up a few more stones for you...
Setting
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-engagement-ring-round-center-item-18301
Possible stones
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.53-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-700027
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.51-carat-d-color-si2-clarity-sku-556011

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
Not a huge fan of pear, but I guess it really depends on the setting. Was thinking about the finger coverage from an oval. You guys have me seriously thinking about going with a band without side stones and a diamond shape that's not round since round are more expensive. Just don't want a generic ring and want the best finger coverage and quality I can get. $2000 is a lot for us and I don't want to feel like I wasted it on a tiny ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Raemoore3|1445523423|3941032 said:
Not a huge fan of pear, but I guess it really depends on the setting. Was thinking about the finger coverage from an oval. You guys have me seriously thinking about going with a band without side stones and a diamond shape that's not round since round are more expensive. Just don't want a generic ring and want the best finger coverage and quality I can get. $2000 is a lot for us and I don't want to feel like I wasted it on a tiny ring.

A plain shank halo, at least to me, is not ordinary at all, if you go that route. Do you see a lot of those out in the world? I know I don't. Nor on here.

And you're absolutely sure you want a diamond? Ther

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
Niel, you really have me interested in that one. Great price, not a huge fan of princes and you can't tell what sparkle it has, but definitely a contender.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results