shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Grades? A B C???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dumbasarock

Rough_Rock
Ok, I''ve done quite a bit of research and I think I''m now edcuated enough to make a purchase, but a small retailer mentioned something that threw me for a loop.

We were discussing two different diamonds and he mentioned that one particular stone was a grade "C".....

.....as in Grade A, Grade B, Grade C,....... Did I hear him wrong?? or do I need to do some more homework in learning about comparing cuts??

Please help!

Thanks
-Mike

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s a funny reason why GIA''s diamond color grades start with D
28.gif
- when the grades came out, they were meant to compete with and eventually replace random practice grading that often mentioned ''A-B-C'' grades
12.gif
Now, that was a long time ago. Even if grading is not backed up by a lab report, most sellers still refer to the D-Z color scale (although, how close or fat from the standard these in-store grades are, remains up to you to judge).

There is quite a bit of info about the cut quality of diamonds around this forum (the Tutorial ain''t too bad) and elsewhere. Since it accounts for a nice chunk of the price and even more of the looks of the stone, you might want to give it a bit of time.

My 2c

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
So what is a grade C? The color? Cut? I''m confused.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
grade C sometimes referes to commercial grade when dealing in small stones but I havent heard it applied to larger ones.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 7:31:20 PM
Author: jasontb
So what is a grade C? The color? Cut? I''m confused.

A,B, and C are grades that this particular seller is representing something to be. These are not industry standard gradings.

A= Assinine

B= BullS***

C= Crap

Maybe those are indicitive of the gradings.

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 8:06:07 PM
Author: strmrdr
some dealers also use a grading system like this one which has a C grade:

http://www.indygem.com/diamond-melee-sq.htm

I looked at the link you provided..... that is certainly a very warped grading system.

All AA grade diamonds are VS-1-VS-2 which is their top grade.

What happens when the get a VVS-1 J color?

Rockdoc

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 8:27:31 PM
Author: RockDoc
Date: 4/17/2006 8:06:07 PM

Author: strmrdr

some dealers also use a grading system like this one which has a C grade:

http://www.indygem.com/diamond-melee-sq.htm

I looked at the link you provided..... that is certainly a very warped grading system.

All AA grade diamonds are VS-1-VS-2 which is their top grade.

What happens when the get a VVS-1 J color?

Rockdoc

good point ,,, no clue.....
I bookmarked that site a long time ago for chatham gemstones and recalled their grading system beyond that I dont know anything about them.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock

Hi dumbasarock

I think your Jeweler is a subscriber to Rapnet which is an Industry diamond trading network, They use an ABC code that is not really relevant to consumers.
Perhaps some members get a bit confused sometimes
Johan

Rapspec.gif

Sunshines

Rough_Rock
Hi Johan, I think you are right with the info, I asked one of my jeweller friend and he says these are the grades used in rap reports to differentiate the good ones from the average....A being the best of course. BTW Johan, would you happen to have the specification of what falls in A, B and C categories, that will be useful info for us. Thanks.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2006 7:54:47 AM
Author: Sunshines
Hi Johan, I think you are right with the info, I asked one of my jeweller friend and he says these are the grades used in rap reports to differentiate the good ones from the average....A being the best of course. BTW Johan, would you happen to have the specification of what falls in A, B and C categories, that will be useful info for us. Thanks.
A is:

Depth%: 57.5 - 62.5
Table%: 55-64
Girdle: No extreme, no very thick
Culet: No large or chipped
Polish: Good or better
Symmetry: Good or better
Fluorescence: No strong or medium
Comments: No graining, no crown angle comment, no lasering, no color or clarity treatments

B is:
Depth: 57.0 - 63.0
Table: 55-65
Fluorescence: Medium OK, but no yellow
Comments: Surface graining OK
All the rest: same as A

C is: Any stones that do not meet A or B

Live long,

Sunshines

Rough_Rock
Thanks Paul for posting the info.....Mike, the ABC mystery should be solved?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Few subscribers to Rapaport even know what the ABC specs are. It always amazes me how so much business is done with so little real information.

My interpretation of the ABC''s

A=Acceptable
B=Budget deal
C=Continue your shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results