shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond from one vendor - setting from another

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elgar

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing a diamond and setting via the internet this week and I have a couple of questions I need help with. Unfortunately, the setting I like is sold by one online vendor and the center stone is sold by another. Both vendors are highly regarded on this forum. My questions:

1. What are my options for getting the diamond set? Can I have the setting shipped from one vendor to the other for setting (or is this a horrible idea) (should I have the setting and diamond shipped to an independent appraiser and have him set it when he is done?)

2. How comfortable would people in this forum be not getting an appraisal if the diamond is GIA certified with Sarin report from a vendor like GoodoldGold, Whiteflash, BlueNile???

Thanks in Advance

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id have the one that supplies the diamond set it.

My thoughts on appraisal,
GOG - insurance type appraisal mounted all the information is there allready.

Whiteflash - Id consider adding b-scope to the above and having it done unmounted.

blue nile - full workup unmounted then insurance appraisal mounted.

see this thread for more ideas:
pricescope

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't know about BlueNile, but I would not care much for an appraisal or any extra info in the other two cases. And if the seller of the diamond would refuse to set it in any other setting than his models I'd run.

Agreeing with Strmrdr, the seller of the diamond would be the best person to do the mounting. Even if they do not take in the risk of the operation (minimal as it is), I would expect that a diamond shop would surely be working with a good setter, if anyone does.

Not sure if Blue Nile works this way at all. If they are your seler, you may want to ask them the same Q.

Wow, this must have been hard work
1.gif
! I surely hope the seller, whoever he is, could also supply a nice, professional digital pic of your ring? For PS sake
2.gif

mercerdnky

Rough_Rock
I have a similar issue mentioned in #1 - however the place I purchased the diamond will only set the diamond in one of their settings. We currently have a temporary setting - for appraisal. I like the niceice or supercert 6-prong setting.
Should I be concerned sending my diamond to mount? In the case of supercert - we are in NYC so it would be a local purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results