shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond from early 50''''''''s, likely OEC or RB??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Hi, wanted to ask the diamond experts out there a question.

I was just back at a local store with some antique rings looking (again) at a .35 GVS from the early 50''''s. First time I went they said it was a RB, this time the jewelry designer hanging out there said it was an OEC. Was OEC still the most common cut back then? Or is it more likely a well cut RB?

The reason I''''m asking is because I thought it was the prettiest diamond I''''d see all day, very white and sparkly. So I want to determine if I have a strong preference for OEC''''s or if I like the modern look and would love an ideal cut. It''''d make a huge difference it ring choices, obviously.

One of these days I''''m going to have to see an ideal in person. But I think the nearest store that has them is well over an hour away, and I haven''''t thought up a good excuse to go to that city yet.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1950''s???

Probably RB...

But how do you know its from the 50''s

If this stone was cut around the 1900''s it would surely be a OEC.

Good Luck

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 3:26:45 PM
Author:Wren

One of these days I''m going to have to see an ideal in person. But I think the nearest store that has them is well over an hour away, and I haven''t thought up a good excuse to go to that city yet.
31.gif
35.gif
let me know when you think of something
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be an older diamond set in a more recent setting - so if the ring is from around 1950, this doesn''t say much about the stone.

There sure are ideal proportions befitting the OEC cut (i.e. the shorter lower girdle and larger star facets on the same facet pattern as the modern brilliant). And lucky you if you do have a stone like that! To me, they are way nicer than the modern.

If I am not mistakin'' Tolkowshy''s ideal was meant for this sort of cut - the diamond model in the legendary paper must have been talking about oEC in 1919. I don''t think that played allot in the actual optimization model though - so I am not going to say that the results apply better to OEC than modern round brilliant proportions
31.gif
Anyway, this seemed like the chat to make the point
38.gif

An ''ideal'' OEC is quite a rare bird! definitely worth looking out for though. If you are not in a hurry ...

Just an idea.
34.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 3:30:24 PM
Author: DiaGem
1950''s???

Probably RB...

But how do you know its from the 50''s

Well, A) They said so... not that I believe anything coming out of their mouths after they tell me a vintage 14k wg wih a .35 GVS1 is a ''really good deal'' for $2600. (sticker price $2800). Not to mention the conflicting answers I get whenever I go in. I also distrust a place when someone is unwilling to give me a price w/o first checking what price the other salesperson gave me. I just don''t think a fancy store like that should have ''soft'' prices.
38.gif

and B) It does look Retro-Moderne with the diamond set in a low boxy setting, and the ring shoulders are sleek, architectural, and unadorned. (no pave). And I believe that style was most popluar in the 50''s. Not that I''m an expert or anything!
2.gif

And so far the best excuse I can think of is a desire to go to the Asian market down there.
3.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 3:42:49 PM
Author: valeria101

It could be an older diamond set in a more recent setting - so if the ring is from around 1950, this doesn''t say much about the stone.
Hadn''t thought of that!

There sure are ideal proportions befitting the OEC cut (i.e. the shorter lower girdle and larger star facets on the same facet pattern as the modern brilliant). And lucky you if you do have a stone like that! To me, they are way nicer than the modern.

If I am not mistakin'' Tolkowshy''s ideal was meant for this sort of cut - the diamond model in the legendary paper must have been talking about oEC in 1919. I don''t think that played allot in the actual optimization model though - so I am not going to say that the results apply better to OEC than modern round brilliant proportions
31.gif
Anyway, this seemed like the chat to make the point
38.gif

An ''ideal'' OEC is quite a rare bird! definitely worth looking out for though. If you are not in a hurry ...

Just an idea.
34.gif
Sounds a bit complicated to convey to the bf.
7.gif
But well worth investigating further. I''ve got a month before he''s free enough to start looking seriously, so I should have enough time to go test-drive lots more rings.
11.gif

So far my observations have turned up that I really do prefer 1/3 carats in simpler settings. And that, rather worrisomely, I just don''t care for 99.9% of the diamonds I see. But that could just be the average cut quality of most diamonds around here.
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wren,
a good place to see a well cut diamond is hof. do you have any dealers there?

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
52 miles, to be exact. Sounds like I have developed a burning desire for authentic asian food supplies.
31.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 4:12:28 PM
Author: Wren
52 miles, to be exact. Sounds like I have developed a burning desire for authentic asian food supplies.
31.gif
guess we''ll have to cook something up
2.gif

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Wren,

More initials! What is OEC?

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

I had that problem too when I first came on PS.
Old European Cut. It''s kinda what predated the modern round brilliant cut (RB). You find them in antique rings from the 20''s and 30''s. I think I remember someone saying in a post that OEC''s are still being made in small numbers.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/28/2006 7:35:44 PM
Author: Wren
9.gif

I had that problem too when I first came on PS.
Old European Cut. It''s kinda what predated the modern round brilliant cut (RB). You find them in antique rings from the 20''s and 30''s. I think I remember someone saying in a post that OEC''s are still being made in small numbers.
And.....OMC=Old Mine Cut. Be aware that it is common for some jewelers to interchange OMC and OEC or even use the term "transitional cut."
I see more OEC diamonds in my daily work overall than OMC. Many are dazzlers!

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results