shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond from 1943

san0319

Rough_Rock
Hi I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to know if it would be possible that a diamond from 1943 would be cut in a brilliant cut? We just received my fiance's great grandmother's diamond, and when I took it to a local jeweler, she indicated that it was a modern brilliant cut. I'm curious because my fiance's mother had it reset recently - but left it at the jewelers for almost a month...

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm I can't help you technically speaking but I would definitly be suspicious.... Make sure you find out the truth and let us know what happened.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Yep. Actually, it's probable. I believe the majority of diamonds from that period would be modern brilliants, unless they were re-set from an older setting. OEC's were popular before 1920(-ish).

My mom's ering is set with my grandma's stone from 1945 and it is a modern RB.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Could you post a picture?

san0319

Rough_Rock
I'm going to try to post the pic. Here is the diamond in it's new setting. I will be resetting them again. I have 1 center stone at about 1.8 ct and 9 separate small diamonds at about .15ct a piece.

I'm glad to hear from Elrohwen that modern brilliant cut would be the right cut from the 40's.

reset ring.JPG

lulu

Ideal_Rock
It's a beautiful ring no matter what the cut is.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, hard to say from the pic. I'm not enough of an expert to tell. Do you have one that shows the faceting more clearly?

san0319

Rough_Rock
sorry - that was the best picture I could manage. I haven't quite gotten the hang of photographing diamonds yet. I'll keep trying...

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yep, totally possible it's a RB from that time. That was right about the tail end of transitional cuts and beginning of modern RBs. And of course some cutters would be ahead or behind the times too.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My engagement ring is from the 1940s and is also a round brilliant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results