shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Flaws, please rank them

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovesquares

Rough_Rock
Could someone let me know the different types of flaws in diamonds, and whether one is worse than another. For example, I would assume that a fracture is worse than a feather is worse than a pinpoint.

Also, if a diamond has been filled or color-enhanced, would the GIA lab be able to detect this?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Are you asking in terms of the appearance of the inclusions (what kinds are the worst in terms of being viewed) or durability (a feather breaks girdle and compromises the stone) or both?

In terms of GIA, I do not think they grade clarity-enhanced diamonds as a policy. EGL does and notes it on the cert.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Big inclusions are worse than small ones.

I suggest that very few people can learn enough about inclusions to make decisions as to what is better or worse.

Personally I like SI2's that have 2 -4 inclusions spread around the stone rather than 1 that is in the crown. I sometimes prefer table placement to crown, because the for the same clarity grade the crown inclusion will be larger than the table placed one.

kcola

Rough_Rock
WOULD SOMEONE GIVE HER A STRAIGHT ANSWER INSTEAD OF RIDDLES! GIVE 10 FACTS INSTEAD OF 1 FACT!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
KCola, take a deep breath, calm down, and stop yelling.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Johan.

Perhaps it is apparent now that you can not learn to make these judgements easily for your self.

This is the stuff of appraisers
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results