shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond flaw? What is the dark spot?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
I have attached a picture of one of the stones on my eternity band. The stone are supposed to be G SI eyeclean, but when my DH brought it home in normal lighting you can see
this big dark shape inside it. What does it look like? Is that a carbon spot, does it look like it has had some work done to it? What esle could it be? Would you expect to see this in a SI stone
40.gif

Any thoughts reallly appreciated. I just want to sort out this mess. Will meet with the jeweller next week to sort this out - but any comments appreciated.

It is more noticable in normal lighting or in the shade, than if direct light is on it IYKWIM.

Thanks
D2B

45623.jpg

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh, forgot to add, that when you look at it closely under magnification, the dark area appears to be deep inside the stone, like a dark mass.

Very confused, I just want to get this sorted out or get a refund and start fresh
39.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you taken it back to the jeweler you got it from? Obviously this unacceptable, so I would just go there and tell them that. I feel like it doesn''t really matter what the spot is, because it''s there and you don''t like it.

If you don''t think they can replace it with a ring of acceptable quality then I would ask for a refund and purchase a new ring elsewhere.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi D2B. I''m sorry you are having this trouble with your eternity band.
15.gif

Have you tried to clean the ring, just to make sure it''s not something on the underside of the diamond? I would imagine the jeweler cleaned it before giving it to your DH., but you never know.

If it is a problem with the diamond, I would have to agree with thing2of2. The black spot is there and it bothers you, so I''d either have the diamond replaced or just get a whole new ring from another source.

What would bother me most about this though is the misrepresentation. If the jeweler said G SI-1, at this point I''d be wondering if the other stones are even that good. Sometimes I have heard the response that the quoted color/clarity is the average rather than the minimum. If it''s average, you could have some lesser stones scattered in there. I would look at all the stones carefully with a loupe.

What do you think of the rest of the diamonds? Are they sparkly?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
It''s pretty tough to see what the dark area is, but from what I can see - it looks like some of the polish used to polish the metal was not thoroughly cleaned away.

This most likely could be "fixed" with some soaking in the ultrasonic and careful steaming to get it off . If it is extreme impacted perhaps some reverse electo plating cleaning would work.

Rockdoc

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
My judgement comes only from seeing thousands of photos, not real stones, but i agree with RockDoc - looks like dirt to me.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results