shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond first or Setting first ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TaraLeigh

Rough_Rock
It''s been 15 yrs and an upgrade is long overdue! I have been searching for probably 5 years and I am lost... do most people choose their diamond and then find the perfect setting for it or the other way around?

So far I am finding that I lean towards princess or cushion cut... only because I prefer the sparkle over the larger facets in a round brilliant.

I do have one ring stuck in my head, we were in the caribbean a few weeks ago and found something I loved at Diamonds International but apparently it would only take a two carat and couldn''t be changed to fit something a little smaller. I have been in touch with them through email about the ring but so far not much luck - argh! Ofcourse I haven''t found anything similar online.

Tara

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d find the stone first, and then do a custom setting. For cushions check out www.engagementringsdirect.com. Mark is the cushion KING. He also does great custom settings. Good luck!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2007 6:06:29 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I''d find the stone first, and then do a custom setting. For cushions check out www.engagementringsdirect.com. Mark is the cushion KING. He also does great custom settings. Good luck!!!
I agree!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2007 6:09:59 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 3/11/2007 6:06:29 PM

Author: Kaleigh

I agree!

yep, me too..

mcblohe

Shiny_Rock
i think diamonds international are not as cheap as the online ones...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others, get the diamond first, then you can start working out the setting. Mark can get almost any setting you want...and if he can''t get it, he can have it made!

We JUST (2 days ago!) got a stone and started the custom process with Mark and we''re very satisfied thus far. He''s been fantastic! All we did was give him our stone budget and he found us a winner.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2007 6:22:56 PM
Author: mcblohe
i think diamonds international are not as cheap as the online ones...
They don''t have a very good rep, from what I''ve read on here.
2.gif

TaraLeigh

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies... I guess I have just been hesitant because I am afraid that if I buy the diamond and then find the setting of my dreams.. I might not have the right diamond for it. (you can prolly see why I have been searching for five years and still don't have anything - lol Although I am thinking that this site might help/push me a little harder which is what i need!).

As for Diamonds International... it was just that particular setting, we wouldn't purchase the main diamond from them. I wish they would send me a picture for Mark!

Neatfreak - i am looking forward to seeing your finished piece!
1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Tara,

I'm sure others who have gone through this process will chime in, but I'm not sure there's an absolute right or wrong way to go about this. I'm sure some would say that it's best to find a diamond first and then find a setting that will accomodate the stone. Others may say that if you have your heart set on a particular setting, go with that and see what size diamond will fit (that's if you're flexible about size). Either way, do research first so you know what possibilities there are.
My boyfriend and I have found the setting we love, and it can be made to fit the size stones we want. We're flexible about size though so it's not a huge issue.

Can you describe the setting you found? There are some great detectives here who often help by doing searches for others.

ETA: I got sidetracked and I see that others have chimed in too. I guess the consensus is to go with the stone first.
1.gif

TaraLeigh

Rough_Rock
We looked at sooo many rings on that trip but from what I can remember (i stared at it for about two hours lol)...

It didn''t have a center stone but we were looking at it with a 2 carat princess... with a trillion on either side, it had an antique look to it without being ''too much'' - a lot of small round diamonds on the sides plus a small curved band around the 2 outisdes of the main diamond ? Hard to describe
7.gif

Other than that, someone here posted a picture of a Tacori that is calling out to me, hoping to find one to try on. :)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks TaraLeigh! I should (assuming it burns a hole in BF''s pocket once he gets it) have it within a month. I will make sure to post pics in the LIW thread and Show me the Ring as soon as it is in my possession.

If you can remember what the ring you like looked like, write it/draw it! Then send it over to Mark and he can work his magic. If you can describe accurately what you want for him he can then make a CAD image or a resin, and then you can tweak it from there. If budget isn''t an issue (and it was for us and we still found Mark''s settings very reasonable) he can re-create anything you can describe for him AND it has the added feature of accomodating any kind of stone you find.

What I did was send him a document with images of rings that had elements that I liked. So I said I want the band from this one...the cathedral setting from this one...and the basket from this one. So it''s very easy even for those who are not artistically inclined.

Best of all worlds!!!

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
I would do both! I would first decide the look I want...size/shape stone and the style of mounting. You don''t want to buy a cushion cut diamond, say, and when you decide on rings suddenly realize you love a princess! Once you know what your dream ring looks like, buy the diamond, and custom make the mounting if there isn''t a stock on available.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Stone first, because it is the most expensive, and determines the setting to a fair degree. Find a stone you love, and let the setting be a cradle to showcase it.

It doesn''t hurt to look at and try on a lot of settings and see if there is a specific style that you enjoy, and if you want some modifications you can go custom for slightly more. I really enjoyed my custom collaboration process for a RB, and am looking forward to the outcome.

Good luck and have fun!

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
Maybe I did it backwards because I do almost everything backwards but...

I spent years oogling rings every where we went (especially here on Pricescope). After about a dozen false starts, I found one I was really in love with and contacted a number of different vendors to see who could provide something similiar at the most reasonable of prices.

When we found "the" diamond a couple of weeks ago, the vendor we''re working with suggested he send the stone all by itself so we could decide whether or not to keep it. Once I make up my mind, we''ll send the stone back to the vendor at which point he''ll set it in the custom made setting of my dreams.

For me this was a good arrangement because there were a handful of years where I was able to dream about settings with no real potential of the big diamond purchase heh It gave me plenty of time to really work out what I wanted. That being said, I''m sure it''s much more difficult to *purchase* the actual setting, and then find the diamond to fit.

~Heidi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results