shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond fell out of invisible setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone--
I have a question about the integrity of invisible set diamonds in my engagement band. I have a platinum ering with 2 rows of invisible set princess cut diamonds. While at work yest. I noticed that I had lost a diamond out of the invisible setting! I took it into my jeweler today to get it fixed, and I am wondering how likely it is that I will lose a diamond again. Jeweler told me that it happens when the ring is cleaned---I clean mine at least twice a week. I also work with hair chemicals (wear gloves
1.gif
) but some chemicals do get on my hands. Is this going to be a problem I encounter frequently? I have only had this mounting for 1.5 years. Spent nearly 5K on it. Didn''t think this would happen after putting down that kind of cash. How common is this? Should I look at other mounting options? I do have a trade in/up policy for equal or greater value. Thanks!!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read your post yet...I am just commenting on your title...because I am cracking up. If it is invisible how do you know? §

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Gee thanks.....I guess. Can you think of a better way to describe it??

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Sorry sweetie...I understand you are frustrated...and all I could do was make a joke at your expense.

Can you post a photo of your ring? Or visit the site of the brand and give us a link to it? When you say invisible does that mean no prongs...just set in like a bezel set?

I would like you to consult another jeweler. I hate it when you are told this is just going to happen. I think he should have offered some solutions. He knows you are going to wear it...and not just sit it on the table. If a weekly cleaning removes a stone..something is wrong in the craftsmanship, design or diamond size. This isn''t something you should have to deal with on a continual basis. Sharing in your frustration, genuinely. §

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2007 9:44:14 PM
Author:hairgirl95
Hi everyone--
I have a question about the integrity of invisible set diamonds in my engagement band. I have a platinum ering with 2 rows of invisible set princess cut diamonds. While at work yest. I noticed that I had lost a diamond out of the invisible setting! I took it into my jeweler today to get it fixed, and I am wondering how likely it is that I will lose a diamond again. Jeweler told me that it happens when the ring is cleaned---I clean mine at least twice a week. I also work with hair chemicals (wear gloves
1.gif
) but some chemicals do get on my hands. Is this going to be a problem I encounter frequently? I have only had this mounting for 1.5 years. Spent nearly 5K on it. Didn''t think this would happen after putting down that kind of cash. How common is this? Should I look at other mounting options? I do have a trade in/up policy for equal or greater value. Thanks!!
I don''t know much about invisible settings, however, if you do have the option to trade in/up ... maybe you can look at what else out there intrigues you and assess whether or not, peace of mind wise, it would be worth it to find something that might be more practical for your lifestyle ... also a great opportunity for an upgrade ...
31.gif
27.gif
31.gif

Or maybe to avoid the issue, altogether, is it possible to take your ring off while you are working?

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2007 9:53:32 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Sorry sweetie...I understand you are frustrated...and all I could do was make a joke at your expense.

Can you post a photo of your ring? Or visit the site of the brand and give us a link to it? When you say invisible does that mean no prongs...just set in like a bezel set?
Door Knob Solitaire, you are naughty .. silly & funny but naughty. You did make me laugh so many I am naughty as well.

I found this link for you to take a look at invisible sets .. Click Here Its when you have, for example, 4 small princess cut diamonds set together, to give the illusion of 1 larger princess cut stone? Does that give you a visual?

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
I am not so good at posting pictures, but I found a band on ebay that (although no center stone) has the diamonds "invisibly set" like my ring. Link is below. No, its not bezel set, its not my radiant center stone that I lost, its one of the small diamonds set into the band on either side of center stone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INVISIBLE-SET-VS1-G-PRINCESS-CUT-DIAMOND-RING-SIZE-6_W0QQitemZ170172829416QQihZ007QQcategoryZ92853QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Heres a better pic. This is very very similar to my ring. I have 1ct in the band versus .50 in this one I am linking, and mine is platinum, but very very very similar. Hope this helps clarify.

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-50-ct-INVISIBLE-SET-DIAMOND-ENGAGEMENT-RING-MOUNTING_W0QQitemZ190084849568QQihZ009QQcategoryZ92906QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately hairgirl, invisible settings are some of the least durable out there. Most of the experts on here do not recommend them for everyday rings because normally pressure is what keeps the diamonds in (mostly), so when one pops out others likely will too...add to that the fact that the right jolt will knock one free and it makes for a not very safe setting.

Also how do you clean it? Cleaning it with a steam thingie or an ultrasonic would certainly help loosen stones, but I wouldn't think regular soap and water cleaning would.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
I clean it with soap n water with a very soft brush, and I only use the brush when absolutely needed. Thanks for the info that experts have posted on here as to the integrity of the invisible sets. It is a ring I wear everyday. I am a newbie at this site, and I really thank you for your help. How can I search some of the older posts about invisible settings??

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2007 10:09:29 PM
Author: hairgirl95
I clean it with soap n water with a very soft brush, and I only use the brush when absolutely needed. Thanks for the info that experts have posted on here as to the integrity of the invisible sets. It is a ring I wear everyday. I am a newbie at this site, and I really thank you for your help. How can I search some of the older posts about invisible settings??
Try entering invisible settings in the search tool and several links should come up.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I would ask for you money back...as it isn''t invisible...I CAN SEE IT! I''m sorry really-knock it off huh? I love the terms given to jewelry.

Well that is a beautiful way to set the stones. I wish we could see an actual picture of your ring. You know we are all about pictures. Invisible set...of course I have seen it before just didn''t know the term used. I am sure someone will post a helpful reply to your inquiry...as apposed to my silly one.

I can''t offer anything but my sympathy for your lost stone, and that I can do! §

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

See on the toolbar-"search" function; toggle the same and input your words to search. Or maybe this link will work:

https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/search.asp

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the search box upper right, type in invisible settings and see what threads come up. HTH, good luck.

QD Rocks

Rough_Rock
Hi,

sorry to say this is a common problem with this style of setting..

Good luck

Paul

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/2/2007 4:46:28 PM
Author: QD Rocks
Hi,

sorry to say this is a common problem with this style of setting..

Good luck

Paul
I concur, there should be a special jail for anyone who sells rings with invisible settings.
There is rarely any chance of a success in repairing.
They should never ever be resized.

Forget about cleaning them - flood the back with glue and pray a lot.

they are fine for non contact settings like ear rings and pendants

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not criticizing anyone, but I find discussion and sales pitches on ''Invisible Setting'' funny.

A fellow at a trade show selling his Invisible settings asks passers by to come see his fabulous Invisble Setting work. How the heck can they see it? Does he have a special viewer or something? How can it cost so much if no one can even see it?

The problem is use of the English adverb "invisibly". You can definitely appreciate Invisibly Set diamonds or colored gems. No metal is showing, which is, of course, exactly what everyone really means to be saying. It isn''t so different than calling diamond reports, "certs". We get used to it, but it isn''t proper terminology.

Invisibly set jewelry is highly problematic once a repair is needed. Sizing a ring with this setting style can create an endless problem with the only solution being complete replacement. Glue is often used to repair these items and we find this not at all durable.

orangemonster

Rough_Rock
Hello there! SORRY to hear about your invisible set issues! I had multiple problems with my own invisible set 3 row setting. They kept getting loose and stones got lost / cracked twice and had to be replaced. Some folks on here made a suggestion of changing from invisible set to channel set stones.

I found a good, acredited jeweler who looked at the ring and made the suggestion that they ''recreate'' the ring exactly, and reset the side stones into a channel setting. It was the best decision I have ever made. I now wear my ring with confidence and it is much sturdier and robust. Take care and hope you find a good solution for yourself.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2007 10:04:58 AM
Author: oldminer
Not criticizing anyone, but I find discussion and sales pitches on ''Invisible Setting'' funny.

A fellow at a trade show selling his Invisible settings asks passers by to come see his fabulous Invisble Setting work. How the heck can they see it? Does he have a special viewer or something? How can it cost so much if no one can even see it?

The problem is use of the English adverb ''invisibly''. You can definitely appreciate Invisibly Set diamonds or colored gems. No metal is showing, which is, of course, exactly what everyone really means to be saying. It isn''t so different than calling diamond reports, ''certs''. We get used to it, but it isn''t proper terminology.

Invisibly set jewelry is highly problematic once a repair is needed. Sizing a ring with this setting style can create an endless problem with the only solution being complete replacement. Glue is often used to repair these items and we find this not at all durable.
Not all "invisible settings" are garbage. As a matter of fact the "original" invisible set was created by Oscar Heyman & Brothers for Van Cleef, Cartier and Tiffany & Co.... Such setters like the Aletto Brothers or Oscar Heyman & Brothers produce some of the most expensive, time-consuming and well-crafted "invisible settings" that also have fexibility, based on their setting style (not the same as the mass-produced tension set invisible stones you often see).

They are more delicate, which is why they are often seen in brooches and necklaces. For some Aletto Brothers pieces they are currently in auction at Sotheby''s. To me Oscar Heyman & Brothers is the father of the setting and their pieces are just so impressive I always wonder how many expensive stones are destroyed in the process of creating such a piece...

JCK Article on Invisible Set jewelry (how it works and how they are set)

Oscar Heyman & Brothers Article in Antiquorum. (fascinating history on OHB)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking at in invisble setting years ago and decided against it, I went with my princess solataire and the jewler that I bought it from stated that the invisble settings are not good that stones falling out are common and that you should never consider them for everyday wear.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Wow, thank you so much everyone for your great responses! Thought I would give you an update with the repair scenario. After reading the early replies, I went back to my jeweler and raised some strong questions as to the durability of this setting. I am not overly hard on my jewelry, but I work with my hands and there is potential for knocking it from time to time. The jeweler I go to here in Kansas City is nationally known, and rarely do you hear people mention they have problems with them. HOWEVER, that being said, I kinda feel like they aren''t real patient with me. I am overly picky, and I will be the first to admit it. When I started asking questions about the durability, they totally dismissed me and said it was a fluke. I recently had a 2ct. radiant put into the mounting, and they blamed the invisible set being compromised from "torque" placed on the ring when they upgraded the mounting head from the 1.5 ct. old diamond to the 2.0 ct. new diamond. Hmmmmmmm. Don''t know if I am totally buying this explanation. Told me to keep this mounting, and if I lose a diamond again we will discuss other alternatives. Okay, I am still not totally happy with that explanation. They even went as far to tell me that I went a year and a half with no problems with diamonds popping out so that was a good sign??!! I mentioned channel sets, and she blew it off. I mentioned just a plain platinum setting (I have platinum in my current setting) and she told me I would not like it. I think they are trying to make me feel guilty because I brought my ring back after the new diamond was mounted in October. The mounting head looked like crap. Used a head that was too small for my diamond and the prongs were uneven on both ends. Looked like the diamond was sitting at a slope from cramming it into the wrong head. The jeweler labeled me as "picky" at that point. Well, when you spend 15 grand for a new diamond, I expect perfection. I had a second opinion done on the mounting head before taking it back and that jeweler told me it looked like crap and to take it back asap. Sorry for the rant here. Just getting you up to speed. So, my ring should be back from repairs in about 10 days. What should I do when it comes back? Bide my time and see what happens with the invisible diamonds or insist on a different setting? Thanks ahead of time for all your help.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have a good look at it yourself, and if there is any doubt in your mind, find an independant appraiser - there is a list in the upper right resources tool bar.
You do not need to examine it under magnification - just in good flood light (not spots). if the store is prepared to stand by it, then it is a shared problem
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results