shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond face off!!!

Searcher123

Rough_Rock
Hi all. Last time I was active here was 11 years ago when I was getting engaged. Now it’s 10-yr anniversary time!

debating two ideal H&A stones that could serve as the center stone in a halo trilogy setting. Options are both “signature” cuts from a beloved vendor. I won’t reveal who just to protect these diamonds (sorry — will share when I purchase one)

Both eye clean SI1, great HCA, great ASET/idealscopehas impeccable reputation

Big issue is size, color, budget.

stone 1:
0.85 ct (6.08x6.05mm); H color

stone 2
1.005 ct (6.44mm); J color

$3700 vs $5200

Would anyone pay the extra $1500?

Stone will be set in a halo and flanked by side stones of ~.3 ct (also in halos)

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
No

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this an upgrade and meant to be your engagement ring?

Or, is this intended as a RHR? If so, how big is your engagement ring?

Searcher123

Rough_Rock
Strictly RHR.

ER is a 2.1ct Leon Mege solitaire. Also a RB.

This would have similar finger coverage but a much different look

Searcher123

Rough_Rock
Is this an upgrade and meant to be your engagement ring?

Or, is this intended as a RHR? If so, how big is your engagement ring?

meant to quote you. See above. RHR only.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
What is the color of the side stones? That’s really important, especially in a 3-stone ring.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
What shape are the side stones? If also rounds I want to add that I think for a 3-stone of all the same shape, a good rule of thumb for a nicely proportioned composition is for the sides to be approx half the ct wt to the center, in which for your ring the smaller stone is a better pairing for the sides that are approx 30 pointers each.

Searcher123

Rough_Rock
What is the color of the side stones? That’s really important, especially in a 3-stone ring.

They would need to be sourced if I went w the J. Melee would need to be a bit lighter as well.

all RB

designer recommended .25 ct instead of .3-.35

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably stick to the .85 unless you are looking for a bigger look than your engagement ring? Seems like by the
time you halo a 1 carat then add .25+ side stones it could be bigger than your ering. However, if you dont care and
just want a "big" look go for the 1 carat stone.

Last edited:

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not color sensitive and like the presence of the J so I agree with @lovedogs but @tyty333 also made a valid point about finger coverage and presence of a RHR in comparison to your ER.

I totally understand protecting these stones & not mentioning the vendor. Have folks done that in the past? I assume it could happen.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results