shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond experts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LAD

Rough_Rock
So I got a gorgeous stone a few weeks ago and I love it. But for some reason I''m drooling over the thought of a bigger stone, so I''m saving up. I really love all the info you get on the stones at good old gold. What color on the aset should you be seeing on a good cut. Equal amount of red and green? And on the diamexray mostly red and white shows light leakage? Just making sure I''m understanding. Here''s a stone that I''m lusting over. By the time I can upgrade I''m sure it will be sold but isn''t it pretty?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5003/

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 9:08:39 AM
Author:LAD
So I got a gorgeous stone a few weeks ago and I love it. But for some reason I'm drooling over the thought of a bigger stone, so I'm saving up. I really love all the info you get on the stones at good old gold. What color on the aset should you be seeing on a good cut. Equal amount of red and green? And on the diamexray mostly red and white shows light leakage? Just making sure I'm understanding. Here's a stone that I'm lusting over. By the time I can upgrade I'm sure it will be sold but isn't it pretty?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5003/

Hi Lad,

This is an excellent page which explains about ASET in easy to understand terms.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

As you can see from the link, this is a good summary of what you can see from ASET.

In high performance princess cuts RED and GREEN dominate, and the brightest performers have more red. BLUE is present in moderate, even quantities. WHITE (if backlit) or BLACK (if not) may appear but should be minimized.

Brightness and Dispersion

RED rarely reaches the corners in a princess. When it does that edge-to-edge brightness makes the diamond appear larger. Like rounds, abundant RED indicates abundant light return, which most people find appealing. Also like rounds the balance of dispersion or “fire” seen depends on the diamond’s configuration. Large tables and shallow crowns have more whiteness than fire, which is the way most princess cuts are produced (large tables and shallow crowns) since it follows the shape of rough which many cutters find suitable for princess cuts. Designing a middle combination can balance fire and whiteness.

Contrast

RED, GREEN and small areas of BLUE are equally important to the contrast pattern in a princess cut. The pattern is less defined than the round brilliant so princess cuts rely strongly on movement to create the on-off fireworks you see as scintillation. The distribution of colors is extremely important in this shape. WHITE leakage can be present but should be minimized.

LAD

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much stonecold11 and Lorelei!!!!!!!!! That was a great explanation. What do you think about the stone from good old gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results