shape
carat
color
clarity

DIAMOND EXPERTS!!! Need advice on these diamonds***PLEASE***

ilikechloe

Rough_Rock
Hello! I am new to this forum and was advised by some kind ladies from TPF to post my question here since most of the members here have quite a vast knowlege about diamonds. I am contemplating on purchasing a pair of Radiant cut diamond earrings. Here are the specifications:

First Diamond: Radiant brilliant cut Carat Weight = 2.01ct, Shape and Cut = Cut Corner Square Mod. Brilliant. Measurements 7.27 x 6.99 x 4.90mm. Proportions:- Depth = 70.1%, Table = 80%, Crown = 7.9%, Pavilion = 57.7%, Girdle = Thin To Thick Polished, Culet = None. Finish:- Polish = Very Good, Symmetry = Very Good. Clarity Grade = VS2, Color Grade = H, *Fluorescence - Medium Blue.

Second Diamond: Radiant brilliant cut Carat Weight = 2.00ct, Shape and Cut = Cut Corner Square Mod. Brilliant. Measurements 7.21 x 7.15 x 4.86mm. Proportions:- Depth = 68.0%, Table = 83%, Crown = 7.3%, Pavilion = 57.8%, Girdle = Medium To SL Thick Polished, Culet = None. Finish:- Polish = Very Good, Symmetry = Good. Clarity Grade = VS2, Color Grade = H, Fluorescence - Faint.

I do not know much about diamonds except for the clarity and color grading. Based on the information above, are these quality diamonds that will bring out a lot of sparkle-'fire', since I have researched many posts which indicates that cut is everything. Also, what would be a reasonable price? Please help! Thanks in advance.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: DIAMOND EXPERTS!!! Need advice on these diamonds***PLEAS

Well I am no radiant expert and they vary widely, but those are two awfully large-tabled flat-crowned specimens, more so than most I've heard of.

Have you seen these in-person, or can you have a trusted rep look them over, and do you have any photographs/can you get a scan and ASET?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1294725359|2819512 said:
Well I am no radiant expert and they vary widely, but those are two awfully large-tabled flat-crowned specimens, more so than most I've heard of.

Have you seen these in-person, or can you have a trusted rep look them over, and do you have any photographs/can you get a scan and ASET?

Ditto Yssie, the proportions aren't good and with those huge tables and other proportions it is possible these diamonds won't do much in the way of sparkle and could look dull and flat.

As to pricing it is very difficult to advise, do these have a lab report such as GIA? Who is selling them, online vendor or jewellery store?

What I would do is look around some more before you pull the trigger, if you are open to buying online then ask some of the trusted vendors if they could source you two well cut radiants to see what else is out there.

Are you set on having radiants for earrings rather than rounds? Just asking because it is easier to match well cut rounds rather than radiants but if you prefer to stick to this shape then of course we will do what we can to help you.

I would also advise purchasing an ASET scope to take with you to view these diamonds if you can see them in person. The ASET images would prove what the proportions indicate, that these probably aren't well cut stones but my best advice is to compare as many as possible so you can get a decent comparison then go by your own eyes. Once you have looked around you might find these stones are in no way suitable, or you still might find you like them but do compare as many as possible so you know what to look for, preferably compare these to stones with smaller tables.

But if these are for sale online, then ASET images and good photographs are essential. Ask the vendor if that is the case.

ilikechloe

Rough_Rock

Thank you very much for the helpful information. These earrings are from an online jeweler so I will not be able to view them in person. The price he is asking is $18,600 and the diamonds are EGL USA certified. Is this a good price for these earrings? I need to make my decision today so I appreciate any inputs.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I did a quick search using the Priescope search engein on EGL radiants, 2.0 - 2.01, H, VS2...prices came up
between $8500-$12000. I think the largest table I saw was 68%. I'd be worried with such big tables that you'll
just get glare and not much fire/sparkle. Can you get pictures or ASET images of the stones?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ilikechloe|1294760992|2819708 said:
Thank you very much for the helpful information. These earrings are from an online jeweler so I will not be able to view them in person. The price he is asking is $18,600 and the diamonds are EGL USA certified. Is this a good price for these earrings? I need to make my decision today so I appreciate any inputs.

It is very difficult to judge the pricing as there is so much info we don't have, from the proportions, it does not appear that these are well cut at all, that isn't to say that you wouldn't like them as everyone has a different idea of what is beautiful but it is very VERY risky in my opinion buying them blind without images at the very least. You asked earlier whether these diamonds will show much sparkle and fire and I take from that, that the cut quality is somewhat important to you, but from the info we have, chances are that these aren't well cut and won't sparkle as well as they should.

18k is a lot of money, why do you have to decide today? Can you ask the seller if they would provide images? To me it is a similar scenario to this, would you buy a car without at least looking at it? I certainly wouldn't and buying diamonds without images and a lot more info is a similar situation. If you buy a car sight unseen, you could be buying a heap of problems, leaks, lack of performance, worn out engine, bad tyres ( tires), cracked windscreen ( windshield), structural issues etc etc and you could find various undesirable issues with a diamond if you buy blind, especially ones with those proportions...

Where are you buying these from, are they with an Ebay seller?

Also EGL are said to be less strict on grading so the colour and clarity grades could be even lower than stated...Also these are big stones and should the colour grades be lower such as J or K colour in reality, then it is possible that as these do not appear to be well cut and they are radiants which can show more colour, that you could find they do show a warm tint, so you would need to check them for this also.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results