shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond/Engagement Ring Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

outoftune713

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am thinking about purchasing a ring from someone and would like peoples opinion. The owner bought it originally from jareds and had it appraised there a few weeks ago for 8000.... Well here is from the ad.

"1.52 ct princess cut, platinum band, H color, I clarity (must see before judging), lifetime warranty on stone, setting and sizing."

He also told me it says "square mod brill cut"

He wants to meet me at jareds to discuss. He wants 6500 for it. I was thinking of offering less. What would be a reasonable offer and is the I clarity something to be worried about?

Thanks in advance.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have a GIA report?

I clarity grades can represent durability issues, and sometimes performance issues if it has expansive clouds.

3000-ish.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 11:40:19 PM
Author: JulieN
Does it have a GIA report?

I clarity grades can represent durability issues, and sometimes performance issues if it has expansive clouds.

3000-ish.
Ditto and I would not pay 6500 for it, more OIRO 3000.

outoftune713

Rough_Rock
"It is IGI certified and has a certified appraisal for 8000! Just take a look at it and see what you think.I had doubts also but it is a beautiful ring and obviously it was more than you are spending."

I read some stuff about IGI and it seems that it is not as good for resale. One thing I was curious about is even though people don''t like IGI as much is it possible that it is actually better than the "I" clarity given? Or is that only given for specific things no matter what lab is grading it? He said I could look at it under a microscope at jareds... but with my little experience it would not be all that helpful.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2009 10:39:18 AM
Author: outoftune713
'It is IGI certified and has a certified appraisal for 8000! Just take a look at it and see what you think.I had doubts also but it is a beautiful ring and obviously it was more than you are spending.'

I read some stuff about IGI and it seems that it is not as good for resale. One thing I was curious about is even though people don't like IGI as much is it possible that it is actually better than the 'I' clarity given? Or is that only given for specific things no matter what lab is grading it? He said I could look at it under a microscope at jareds... but with my little experience it would not be all that helpful.

The inflated appraisal means nothing, the ring isn't worth that regrettably. These ' feelgood' inflated appraisals are common yet do not mean the piece is worth these huge values.

As to the grading we would only be guessing. Here is what I suggest if you really want to pursue this. Get the seller to meet you at an agreed on independant appraiser. The appraiser can examine the diamond and verify it is as stated and also suggest a suitable secondary market price. Then if you are happy you can conclude the transaction.

More info on IGI labs

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx Appraisal listings

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have $6500 to spend, why not work with a PS vendor like Whiteflash, where you have great customer service, a guarantee and even upgrade privileges if you should ever want it. This deal sounds dicy to me.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 12:21:31 PM
Author: motownmama
If you have $6500 to spend, why not work with a PS vendor like Whiteflash, where you have great customer service, a guarantee and even upgrade privileges if you should ever want it. This deal sounds dicy to me.

Ditto all. An IGI H/I1 (is it even I1, or I2-3?) raises some pretty big flags for me, since IGI is really soft on color and clarity. You might get a yellowish tinted stone (it may be more like J-K color), and the I1 clarity is highly unlikely to be eye-clean, not to mention a durability issue. Princesses are already fragile at the corners to begin with. I''d run far away from this "deal."

If I had that much to spend and was looking in the ~1.5ct range, I''d look at this beautiful princess:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5638/

Not sure what your budget is for the setting though. If it''s $6500 for the whole thing and you want a platinum setting, I''d get a slightly smaller diamond, like this one:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5472/
and then you''d have about $500 for the setting.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2009 12:42:55 PM
Author: jstarfireb

Date: 3/17/2009 12:21:31 PM
Author: motownmama

Ditto all. An IGI H/I1 (is it even I1, or I2-3?) raises some pretty big flags for me, since IGI is really soft on color and clarity. You might get a yellowish tinted stone (it may be more like J-K color), and the I1 clarity is highly unlikely to be eye-clean, not to mention a durability issue. Princesses are already fragile at the corners to begin with. I'd run far away from this 'deal.'

If I had that much to spend and was looking in the ~1.5ct range, I'd look at this beautiful princess:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5638/

Not sure what your budget is for the setting though. If it's $6500 for the whole thing and you want a platinum setting, I'd get a slightly smaller diamond, like this one:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5472/
and then you'd have about $500 for the setting.
I just wanted to add not all I1 clarities are a potential durability issue even if non GIA graded.

outoftune713

Rough_Rock
wow, I didn''t see the newer posts. ok so here''s an update. I went to go look at the ring today expecting to look at it and say no... unfortunately my decision has become more difficult. to answer a previous question, it is an I1, not an I2,3. we met at jareds under the pretext that I could go inside and look at it saying that I may be buying that ring but may need a new setting.

anyways, it actually was somewhat difficult to find the main inclusion with the naked eye. I had to look hard. It is in the corner (good for princess cuts) and honestly looked really nice. No black specks. The sales guy at jareds thought it was a beautiful diamond and he didn''t really have anything to get out of it. Now, i won''t pay 6,500 for it. i got it down to 5,300 and may try to go lower. (don''t forget the platinum band is worth about a grand by itself). I still haven''t made a definite decision and will actually be meeting him again with a good friend and his wife (also good friend) to get their thoughts. i especially want to think of what a girl thinks of it.

also, i have spent some time looking at diamonds on james allen just to get more of a feel for how it compares to other I1 or SI2. all the I1s and some SI2s were worse. Actually this one is very similar to the main inclusion on the diamond... http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1200978.asp

Any more thoughts/suggestions?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
It''s important that you understand that the ring you looked at Jareds had an inclusion that you COULD see without a loupe (though in a corner). The pictures you are looking at online are MAGNIFIED 40X. It''s unlikely that the inclusions you can see at 40X will be nearly as visible with a 10X loupe, and may be entirely invisible with the naked eye. Just so you''ll know you aren''t comparing apples to apples
2.gif

outoftune713

Rough_Rock
Yes, I realize this... the one I posted isn''t quite as bad probably. I also look at the diamond under the microscope too...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results