shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RandalThor

Rough_Rock
I''d like to find some diamond earrings for my wife. I''ve been reading through the forums here and I''ve seen good comments about Whiteflash.

I searched their site and found these two diamonds:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=8220,8221#

Any bigger and they are too big for my wife''s ears.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about what to chose for earrings? I''m looking for a total weight of 3/4 carat. And I''m kind of picky so I''d like to have good quality diamonds, though some have told me that the clarity is not as important for earrings as it is for a ring. Any help?

Will Whiteflash custom make earrings anyway if I select these two diamonds?

Thank you very much for your time.

Rand

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything is less important in earrings. Except size. Heh.

Sure, WF will make almost anything you want.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You picked out a gorgeous pair, just perfect! Great size, color/clarity combo, and the IS images look yummy.

Those are a winning pair!

And yes, they will put those in the setting of your choice, and, they''re upgradable, just in case.
2.gif

RandalThor

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for the feedback. I do feel better about this.

I''ve read that I should ask for the diamonds to be sent to an independent appraiser before purchasing. Is that something that I need to worry about with Whiteflash or AGS certified diamonds?

I''ve also been told there is a really secure clasp for the earrings with a concave piece that bumps up to the ear. Supposedly they are better than then the screw on ones. Does anyone know about different types of clasps and could offer any suggestions?

Thank you again!

Rand

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If sending them to an IA will make you feel better, then I would.

I have personally bought studs from WF, and I didn''t. They are a very reputable company. But you need to do what you feel comfortable with.

As for the backs, I got what they call the "high friction" backs, and they really don''t move once I set them where I want. I''m not sure if those are what you were referring to or not. But I had another previous pair, with screw ons, and I was a little apprehensive to get these, but it was all for nought. They work great, very secure.

RandalThor

Rough_Rock
Thanks again Ellen. High Friction backs...I think that is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful diamonds, she is sure to love them!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are beautiful. You could easily go down in color and in clarity and get bigger stones. E/VS1 is overkill for earrings. But they will be beautiful!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 7:01:19 PM
Author: FireGoddess
They are beautiful. You could easily go down in color and in clarity and get bigger stones. E/VS1 is overkill for earrings. But they will be beautiful!
6.gif

OK, that link didn''t work for me (when I first read this post), so I went to WF and searched those two numbers (8220, 8221). It brought up like .83 H SI1 diamonds. Is that not what the link shows??

To the OP, if indeed they are E VS1, I would agree with FG, you can go way down on color and clarity. Sorry for any confusion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rand, I also have a pair of beautiful diamond studs from WF, and I went with H VS2. You could certainly go to F or G and VS2 without sacificing quality. My daughter has some diamond studs that size that my mother gave her, and she has very tiny earlobes. But I think almost anyone could wear 1/2 carat in each ear, unless she just specifically wants smaller ones.

I just looked, and I don''t really see a good match at that price in a larger size and lower color (other than a pair of ''A Cut Above" E VS2''s). So that pair may be your best bet for now, and just know that you could go a little lower in color and clarity should you ever decide to upgrade them.

RandalThor

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great feedback everyone.

I also found these:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=3642,4486

Still will be around 3/4 carat total weight, F color, and VS2 clarity.

What do you think?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That link isn''t working for me either, not sure why. But at any rate, unless you are in a hurry, I''d wait. WF gets new stones in about every 6 weeks. If you''re not in a hurry, tell them what you''re looking for and then you''ll have a good selection to pick from when they come in.

I have a pair with one G, one H, and honestly, I can''t tell the difference in color. One is VS2, one is SI1, can''t tell there either. So in this size you can definitely go H, even I or J if you wanted to.

Then again, sometimes it''s a mind thing, if you want higher color and clarity, I understand. I can''t give an opinion on these cuz the link won''t work, and when searching the numbers this time, I don''t get any stones.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The F VS2 pair is nice, too.

Most people here would be happy (happier) with larger, G/H/I SI stones. But that is just the general preference here.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just copied and pasted the first link again, and yes, both stones appear as E/VS1. You can definitely go down in color and clarity easily, and get bigger stones.

ETA: Just saw the second link. I am a colorless lover at heart (my ering is a D) but I myself would probably still go down to a G and get any eyeclean SI1 or SI2 stones I could, provided they were eyeclean.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t like the second pair as well as the first. I am uncomfortable with very thin on a girdle even though it may not be as dangerous for earrings as it would be in a ring. But F or G VS2 would be great. It just seems that there aren''t a lot of stones in the .40 range. And the price jumps up at .5 each.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Well, I am no expert, but they look good to me. F VS2 right? It seems like WF often has their selection in higher color and clarity grades than the average PS person's preference. I wonder why? Maybe the general market prefers higher specs or maybe we PSers keep snatching up the others at a quick rate :)

I just received earrings from whiteflash and on paper, they might not seem like an ideal match because one is H/VS2 and the other is I/SI1 to my recollection. Also, one is ACA and the other is ES. I chose them after getting help on Pricescope and from Bob at WF who was great to work with. While they might not seem like a great match on paper they are a fantastic match in person. I cannot tell one from the other. Also, I cannot see any inclusions with my eye and I have to look REALLY hard with the loupe. I am sure your wife will LOVE the earrings. Also, mine are a little smaller than yours (about .34 ea) and they are definitely not huge, but a great size for every day. I have worn them every da since I got them and I LOVE them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results