shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond earrings upgrade - Lab Qs and size

sam2

Rough_Rock
Wife has hinted at upgrading her diamond studs for anniversary. Current studs were bought many years ago and are high quality naturals, but just 0.75ctw combined. Lab created are an option, but I am completely new to that technology.

Are HPHT preferable to CVD? Is this listed anywhere on GIA or other certs?

What is a reasonable size without looking too ostentatious? For instance, I looked on BlueNile and smallest lab created earrings were 1.9ctw total. That would be more than 2.5 times the current size, and each earring would be only a bit smaller than her natural engagement ring, LOL. (Also, at 2ctw, even lab would be stretching my budget, but doable.)

Any advice is appreciated.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest 1.5ctw, which will keep each diamond smaller than her e-ring.

The growth method is stated on IGI and GCAL reports. GIA used to provide that info but more frequently now just says, "this is a man-made diamond," which is incredibly frustrating. There can be good crystal with both HPHT and CVD. CVD may have more things to watch out for (internal graining, brownish tint, etc.).

What is your budget? We can help you search.

sam2

Rough_Rock
I don't have a specific budget, but I don't have money to burn. The 2ctw labs on Blue Nile were $3k, which isn't impossible but a big stretch.

Around $1,500 would be much more comfortable, but I could go a little higher if needed. I'm still calibrating my expectations, but I was hoping with lab created I could find a solid upgrade at a price that was easy to swallow. Thank you.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a specific budget, but I don't have money to burn. The 2ctw labs on Blue Nile were $3k, which isn't impossible but a big stretch.

Around $1,500 would be much more comfortable, but I could go a little higher if needed. I'm still calibrating my expectations, but I was hoping with lab created I could find a solid upgrade at a price that was easy to swallow. Thank you.

I've found a pair of 0.77 D VVS diamonds with 14K white gold 4-prong stud settings for $1156. I can post them when you're online and ready to put them on hold. There are lots of lurkers who snap up recommended stones.

sam2

Rough_Rock
I'm online, but I'm not great at making snap decisions. No way to PM me so I can agonize over it for a while, right? ;)2

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm online, but I'm not great at making snap decisions. No way to PM me so I can agonize over it for a while, right? ;)2

No PM on this forum, but you would only have to put it on hold, not actually buy it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results