shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond earring certification

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by tlett, Aug 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. tlett
    Rough_Rock

by tlett » Aug 11, 2001
    I'm in the market for princess diamond earrings. I was talking to a wholesaler, and he told me a few things that I wouldn't mind some feedback on. Here they are:1. You don't need GIA (or other) certification for earrings - it's not worth it and he hasn't sold a pair in 20 years2. Quality is not nearly important in earrings as it is in a ring.3. 1.0 karats on each ear is huge, and will look funny on a fairly petite woman.Any thoughts?Thanks

2. pricescope
    Ideal_Rock

by pricescope » Aug 11, 2001

Price sounds good if diamonds are as represented, i.e. indeed G and SI1. It may be a good deal but you will be safe if check them with independent appraiser/gemologist.BTW, about quality. Well-cut diamonds look larger (better spread) for its weight and more brilliant and fiery of course. Princess diamonds are mostly cut for the weight. Check www.gemappraisers.com/chrt4.htm for recomended proportions for the princess diamonds.Ask the jeweler to provide you with proportions for the diamonds: depth, table, girdle, etc.

3. tlett
    Rough_Rock

by tlett » Aug 11, 2001
    Oh yeah, one more:He said he can get me approx. 1.70 tkw (0.85 each), G, SI1 for total cost of approx. $4k

4. pricescope
    Ideal_Rock

by pricescope » Aug 11, 2001
    Depends on the price of the diamonds. GIA report would cost about $200/diamond hence if your diamonds cost only $1000 it is not worth it but if you are paying $10,000 you might think about it.
    This is what usually people think but it's upon you to decide what quality you wish to have.
    He might be right but again it's a matter of taste and completely up to you (or your lady) to decide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.