shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Earings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dynamiccoins

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m in the UK and am thinking of buying some diamond stud earings for my girlfriend. I have to say I''m not spending a fortune as I''m not sure she would appreciate that in the present climate, but its her 40th and I wanted to buy something from our two children who are 3 and 1 and I though they could each give her one earing.

A friend of a friend works in Hatton Garden in London and he showed me a pair of .20 stud earings with a white gold settings. Now he quoted me £600 which I have to say sounds a lot to me - I appreciate there are other factors to pricing a diamond over and above the carat.

But, my question is, do smaller diamonds come with a cerificate - say up to .5''s as this was not mentioned.

Thanks for the help

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/13/2009 1:33:31 PM
Author:dynamiccoins

But, my question is, do smaller diamonds come with a cerificate - say up to .5's as this was not mentioned.

The answer is that they can. Depending on where you buy them. You may pay more for that certificate (in most cases, it would be those certificates, one for each diamond). There are vendors from whom you can buy uniformly good stones, however. I would look for one of those vendors and then you would not have to worry about a cert!

AGBF
34.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2009 1:33:31 PM
Author:dynamiccoins
Hi,

I'm in the UK and am thinking of buying some diamond stud earings for my girlfriend. I have to say I'm not spending a fortune as I'm not sure she would appreciate that in the present climate, but its her 40th and I wanted to buy something from our two children who are 3 and 1 and I though they could each give her one earing.

A friend of a friend works in Hatton Garden in London and he showed me a pair of .20 stud earings with a white gold settings. Now he quoted me £600 which I have to say sounds a lot to me - I appreciate there are other factors to pricing a diamond over and above the carat.

But, my question is, do smaller diamonds come with a cerificate - say up to .5's as this was not mentioned.

Thanks for the help
Welcome!

Yes, smaller diamonds certainly can come with a grading report such as GIA and it is always good to go for GIA or AGS graded diamonds, it would be best to ask if the ones you were quoted for do have a report. Do you know the quality of these diamonds, the colour and the clarity? These can impact price considerably. It is cut quality which will give you beautiful sparkly earrings to give to your lady so very important to try to find well cut diamonds. What I would suggest is to shop around a bit more, and I recommend you contact Dr Indira Marchant who is in London at -

www.bestdiamonds.co.uk Indira is a wonderful lady and very pleasant to deal with, see what she can come up with.

Alternatively if you were open to buying online from the States, I don't know your exact budget but you could get something like these from Whiteflash for a little under $1000. These are well cut hand selected diamonds of known quality.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Diamond_Studs/-W-Prong--Diamond-Earrings-by-WF--READY-SET-TO-GO_951.htm

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
You can get 0.50 ctw (0.25 ct. each) studs in white gold from Blue Nile for £450.

You can find certified stones under 0.50. If you'd like certified, you could create your own pair on the BN website:

white gold settings: £200
diamonds: £448 and up

My studs are 0.72 ctw and they are both GIA certified.

dynamiccoins

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Firstly thanks for the replies.

I''d rather buy in the UK due to current exchange rats, so I had a look on the BlueNile site as I like the fact you can build your own earrings.

My budget is around £750 and any comments on these (or alternatives) would be great - http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamonds_details.jsp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD01387005&pid2=LD01482451&filter_id=6

One thing - I picked the three claw instead of the four - any comments on that choice?
Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look promising but I can''t quite read the proportions on the GIA reports, are they clear on your monitor?

dynamiccoins

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response.

If I zoom in on the report I can see the details.

I suppose what I''m asking is - are the 4 C''s I have chosen for those stones a good combination?

Thanks

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 11:26:47 AM
Author: dynamiccoins
One thing - I picked the three claw instead of the four - any comments on that choice?
Something I read about is that there is a tendency of martini setting to lead to enlarge earring holes. No personal exp as I am a guy too. :razz:

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I think that''s a very sweet idea. If you haven''t decided on a setting yet, small studs look gorgeous in a bezel setting. They are on my wish list
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

dynamiccoins

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help Stone-cold11 !!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you SC that helps, I couldn''t read the reports on the original link.

dynams, they have good proportions and should be good looking diamonds, you could lower the clarity from VVS to VS without visual sacrifice as long as the cut is great, but this is a personal decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results