shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Dossier vs full report vs eReport

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get a full report, while $50 is $50 it is a small % of the value of the stone and worth it in my opinion.

+1, especially if future resale is a factor.

Keep in mind though, if resale is many years in the future a fresh report might be more desirable to some buyers than and old one.
I think GIA updating an existing report is cheaper than grading a new diamond.
I'd ask GIA what the fee is for a full update, then compare the fees ... though naturally all fees will be higher years into the future.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
For everyone who was curious. I got my results back. Dpl graded the stone p-r VS2. Gia results were O-p VS2

Not much difference in cost - the lower grade may make it more attractive to a fancy buyer.
And you may get a Fanct=y grade if it is a recut option

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For everyone who was curious. I got my results back. Dpl graded the stone p-r VS2. Gia results were O-p VS2

Great result, happy to see that Gia confirmed the results

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is that how it works with Fancies? Lower grade = better/higher price?
Not exactly......
One of the great things about the color range from about N, down to Y-Z, you’re at the bottom of an inverted bell curve. On the left ( Colorless) side, D is the top, prices dropping consistently to about N color where it bottoms out snd stays there till Y-Z where it starts to climb rapidly through Fancy Light, Fancy ,Fancy Intense and peaking at Fancy Vivid Yellow which can easily double the price of a D color is extremely desirable Vivids ( not all are desirable).
There are cases where an M color (IIRC) cushion brilliant was repolished to Cushion Modifed and increased the color to.....are you ready??
Fancy Yellow.
It was an accident.
We bought the stone as a desirable Cushion Brilliant. Really nicely cut.
We built a ring for it and while they were laser engraving the shank of the ring they damaged the culet- and the damage required an extensive recut.
I thought the stone would get Y-Z and I was thrilled.
When GIA came back as Fancy Yellow we cracked open a bottle of Dom.....lol
Anyway, the point is, if the rough - or an existing polished diamond with a brilliant pavilion- can be cut- or recut- to a crushed ice sort of CMB the perceived color will increase- and markedly in the best cases.

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not exactly......
One of the great things about the color range from about N, down to Y-Z, you’re at the bottom of an inverted bell curve. On the left ( Colorless) side, D is the top, prices dropping consistently to about N color where it bottoms out snd stays there till Y-Z where it starts to climb rapidly through Fancy Light, Fancy ,Fancy Intense and peaking at Fancy Vivid Yellow which can easily double the price of a D color is extremely desirable Vivids ( not all are desirable).
There are cases where an M color (IIRC) cushion brilliant was repolished to Cushion Modifed and increased the color to.....are you ready??
Fancy Yellow.
It was an accident.
We bought the stone as a desirable Cushion Brilliant. Really nicely cut.
We built a ring for it and while they were laser engraving the shank of the ring they damaged the culet- and the damage required an extensive recut.
I thought the stone would get Y-Z and I was thrilled.
When GIA came back as Fancy Yellow we cracked open a bottle of Dom.....lol
Anyway, the point is, if the rough - or an existing polished diamond with a brilliant pavilion- can be cut- or recut- to a crushed ice sort of CMB the perceived color will increase- and markedly in the best cases.

Thank you for a great insight re:pricing on the lower colored diamonds. I had a feeling that the prices are getting pretty much steady below the N range until getting to the very last letters, but you have confirmed what was my vague feeling.

Great for us, low colored stone owners - there is no need to fuss over N vs O vs Q color of the diamond. It should just please the eye and if it does, so be it.

I own an M borderline N (appraisal opinions vary), so there it might still make a difference, but for my O colored antique cushion, it would be basically equal if it turned out an O or a P. It confirms my decision not to spend my money to send my cushion to the lab, as I am not planning to sell it shortly and it is a super lovely and clean stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results