shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond District NYC

diamondslayer

Rough_Rock
I had a strange experience at a store in the DD the other day and now am very worried. I actually bought my ring from them and innocently went back in looking for other jewlery. However, I was always wondering whether the side stones I picked were the "right" ones and so asked to see a ring in their window that had the side stones I originally was considering for the ring. A friend was with me so I thought it would be nice to get another opinion. When I asked to see the ring in the window, they said it had been brought upstairs as someone needed the stones for another ring. Meanwhile, NO ONE was in the store asking to see that ring and we were in that store no longer than 10 minutes. Further, that was the only ring that was missing in the display case area -- the EXACT ring I was looking at.

The jeweler knows exactly which stones I am interested in since I was in that shop every other day contemplating which stones looked better with my center stone. However, I really am not sure why they would tell me something that I clearly think is BS. What is the harm of me seeing those side stones on another ring? I am really worried though that something other than them not wanting to deal with me is what is really happening.

Does anyone have any clues about why they would do this or heard about something siimilar?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Diamondslayer,

If the ring or its side stones were put on hold for another customer who had been there earlier that day, then it makes sense that the jeweller wouldn't be able to show you that ring. If someone else bought those sidestones, then technicaly they don't belong to the jewellery store to display anymore.

I'm sure your present ring is gorgeous! Don't second-guess yourself!

diamondslayer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the vote of confidence for the store but because it was already close to 5pm that day and that ring WAS in the display window as it had been every other time I''ve walked by that store, I thought it was quite strange.

My worst case scenario is that it was a bait and switch! I actually have been starting to think that the center stone I viewed did NOT match the GIA they have on file. That the jeweler showcases a ring that is similar to what indeed matches the GIA but maybe is bigger or better cut or something that when you see it in the store, you''re more drawn to the center stone itself. However, the center stone you get when you buy it (although it matches the GIA) is NOT the center stone which was viewed in the store. And since I am no diamond expert at all, I of course would not be able to tell the difference beween a 1.5 or 1.75 or a D or H even.

Has anyone heard of this happening or do you think the DD wouldn''t take the time to do something like this?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
are you getting your ring independently appraised?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results