shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond deals at ebay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

powerhouse

Rough_Rock
This was my first diamond and i think i receved a good deal so if you are looking for a diamond you may want to check out ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=704224037&ed=1016117195&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOA:US:2

gia emerald cut diamond and 18k gold ring for $950
.61 carat
6.16x4.10x2.66
depth 64.9%
table 69%
girdle thin to thick
culet very small
polish good
symmetry good
clarity vs1
color I
fluorescence none

did i get a good deal on the diamond?
also my gf does not like yellow gold so it needs to be reset.. can I reuse the plat bezel on the ring?
also with a I in color would you recomend white gold or a plat ring?
will some jewelers take the other ring as a trade-in or should i pawn it?

thanks everyone for all of the information before this site i was looking in the mall's for diamonds. This site is great!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
The price looks good compared to purchasing a new diamond, but then resales will never demand the prices that new diamonds will. I really can't tell you what the resale value in that market should be.

Does the diamond look good? I would have an independent appraiser verify that the cert matched the stone and that the stone doesn't have any damage. Who was the seller?

Your girlfriend may not like the look of the I color emerald cut in white gold or platinum. The body color of the diamond, especially in an emerald cut, maybe become quite apparent against the white metals. I am not a jeweler so I can't comment on reuse of the bezel. I doubt you'd get much for the ring from a jeweler.

Congratulations on your purchase.
:appl:

powerhouse

Rough_Rock
I have not recieved the diamond yet (still a little nervous about it) but i was going to have is appraised
as for the color we picked out a diamond at kay's (before i read this site) that was a emerald I si1 .51 (no cert)in white gold that she liked so i was thinking that this one would be better as it is gia certified
also this one was a lot cheaper as the .51 was 1030 + .06% tax = 1091.80 for just the diamond

how much should a local appraisal be? or a mounting? one shop quouted me 150 for the mounting which seemed a little expensive to me (i have made silver jewerly in school and it only took 5min's and some solder to do)

also on the gia cert it showed chips and natural pinpoints which i could not see unless i blew up the cert is this normal?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 3/15/2002 11:19:03 PM

I have not recieved the diamond yet (still a little nervous about it) but i was going to have is appraised
as for the color we picked out a diamond at kay's (before i read this site) that was a emerald I si1 .51 (no cert)in white gold that she liked so i was thinking that this one would be better as it is gia certified
also this one was a lot cheaper as the .51 was 1030 + .06% tax = 1091.80 for just the diamond

how much should a local appraisal be? or a mounting? one shop quouted me 150 for the mounting which seemed a little expensive to me (i have made silver jewerly in school and it only took 5min's and some solder to do)

also on the gia cert it showed chips and natural pinpoints which i could not see unless i blew up the cert is this normal?
----------------

I'm not sure about the price of the appraisal. It should be a flat fee or based on carat weight, not on the value they place on the stone. Appraisal fees really vary. I've seen some as low as $35 and others that charge more on a per carat basis with a minimum quote of a one carat price. In many instances, you probably get what you pay for. Platinum will cost more than white gold-the cost depends on the setting. $150 for platinum does not seem expensive to me.

Chips? I guess I would want to see what the appraiser has to say about the condition of the diamond.

I hope it goes well. :)

VampireX02

Rough_Rock
For the setting, $150 definately doesn't sound too much. The setting I got is plat with two .20 side stones and that was like $2,500 just for the setting....so don't think that the jeweler is ripping you off at $150. As long as you're happy with the mounting, I wouldn't worry about that price. Sounds very reasonable.

My appraisal for insurance purposes ran about $100. Not sure if appraisals for different reasons run different prices, but I read that you should stay clear of appraisers that charge by stone weight. Mine was based on time....took a little over an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results