shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond cutting and grading over time

niteowlsam

Rough_Rock
I have a 20 year old AGS 000 diamond in my engagement ring. It was branded as a Hearts for Eternity which is no longer in existence. Proportions look great based on the recommendations on this forum. I am curious if cutting and grading methods/specs/standards have changed over the years or if I were to buy a diamond with similar specs now, would it look similar? We have discussed upgrading my e-ring into a new three stone and possibly moving my current center stone into a side stone position so I am wondering if this will work or if I would do better to start from scratch with all new stones. Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The proportion sets and how it gets the ags0 grade has changed but if the proportions are in the same range they should go well together.
To advise you further can you post the numbers from the report or an image of the report itself.

niteowlsam

Rough_Rock
This is my current stone-
DFC2272C-111F-4388-8902-9479DD495656.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Should not be a problem finding compatible proportions.
I dont see any reason not to use it based on the report.

niteowlsam

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your feedback @Karl_K and @lovedogs
I guess I was just wondering if maybe the AGS tolerances for things like cut grade (symmetry, etc) had gotten any tighter in the last couple of decades. I would assume cutting methods have improved so maybe standards have changed? Does that make sense?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for your feedback @Karl_K and @lovedogs
I guess I was just wondering if maybe the AGS tolerances for things like cut grade (symmetry, etc) had gotten any tighter in the last couple of decades. I would assume cutting methods have improved so maybe standards have changed? Does that make sense?
It would likely get ags0 under today's system which is stricter on cut and pretty much the same on the other factors.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would not hesitate to use it - looks great!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone has beautiful proportions. It sounds like it would be lovely as a side stone.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pre 2005 AGS had a flawed system for cut grading - but your stone is in the sweet spot.
The shallow combinations were too shallow and the steep deep were very bad.
They seemed not to be aware that increasing girdle thickness increases optimal table size so a slightly thick girdle suits a 58% - 59% table. Size also matters.
These are the best representations I could find of the old system:
1650761619462.png
1650761638496.png
1650761672476.png

niteowlsam

Rough_Rock
Pre 2005 AGS had a flawed system for cut grading - but your stone is in the sweet spot.
The shallow combinations were too shallow and the steep deep were very bad.
They seemed not to be aware that increasing girdle thickness increases optimal table size so a slightly thick girdle suits a 58% - 59% table. Size also matters.
These are the best representations I could find of the old system:
1650761619462.png
1650761638496.png
1650761672476.png

Thanks @Garry H (Cut Nut)! That’s very helpful. Also, it’s good to know that we picked an excellent stone 20 years ago (even by today’s standards) when we had little knowledge of diamonds. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results