shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thamvo

Rough_Rock
I am a novice in diamonds. Need assistance with diamonds cut (Depth and Table) By reading the GIA reports, I do not know if the diamond is a good cut or not. I went to 2 retail stores and they both said that there diamond was a good cut. Is there a website that will show me a table of the different cuts such as Excellent, Very Good, Good, etc....Or can someone provide me the paremters. I could carry this list when searching for a diamond.

Thanks

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Thamo.....It's hard to answer your question specifically because everyone has a different perception of what is "acceptable" to them. Not everyone wants an "ideal" stone.

I'd reference the AGA cut charts here:

https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_round.asp

That should give you some identifiable parameters within which to work.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thamvo,

GIA report doesn't give enough information to evaluate the cut. The industry used to operate with the terms like "excellent", "very good", etc. However, GIA itself abandoned the term of ideal cut because there are many combination of proportions (crown, pavilion, table, minor facets) that can produce beautiful diamonds.

Several groups of scientists are working today on developing a new cut grading system including GIA, Moscow State University, and AGS.

There are several things you can do. The simplest one is to compare your stone to several others and see whether you like it the most. You also can employ and independent appraiser to do it for you.

If you want to do it hard way you can start learning about Ideal-Scope, Sarin, Diamond Calculator, Brilliancescope and other tools that can give you certain additional food for thoughts.

You might want to start reading tutorial on this site which was written 3 years ago (!) but still is a great start.
read.gif

Good luck with your quest
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results