shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond cut opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miked

Rough_Rock
Here''s the specs on a diamond I am considering:

color, clarity, size: I, SI1, 0.61 ct

table %: 57.8
depth %: 62.0
crown angle: 33.5
pavilion angle: 41.0
crown %: 14.4
pavilion %: 43.3

how much should a rock like this cost?

Thx.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay well the closest thing I found on Pscope for comparison was an excellent cut J SI1 .55c for $1100. So I would roughly estimate that depending on where you were getting this excellent cut stone (1.3 TIC HCA) you may pay around $1500 for this stone online. Offline...depending on the markup and your negotation skills, maybe $2000?

The stone itself has numbers that look good, the HCA score was 1.3 TIC EX EX EX VG. Seems like you have the Sarin info on it from the specs you gave below. Have you seen it in person? Is it 100% eye clean? Something to be sure of with SI1's. If so, and the price is right, sounds like a winner!
1.gif

Make sure that the stone is certed by GIA or AGS or EGL USA (not Antwerp etc) as some of the other labs and some EGL labs can be too lenient on their grading...you are on the cusp of color changes with your I color, so MAKE SURE that the I really is an I and not a J or similar. With GIA/AGS you should be fine and most likely the same with EGL USA. Other labs...not quite sure. Would get a 2nd opinion upon purchase and within your return time window.

Good luck!

miked

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply Mara.

I have seen the stone offline - and it is certainly eye-clean. I will be buying it offline as well - for $1200, and that sounds like an unbeatable price from the information you presented. I have the OGI specs on it. I don't have a cert, but I will be receiving a written guarantee from the dealer that he will purchase the stone back from me for the full purchase price ($1200) at any time (he says that he loves to have stones like this in his inventory - he can sell them very easily, so he doesn't mind to buy it back because he can always resell it). I have compared the color of the stone with a set of master grading stones (and other diamonds as well). When I take the stone for appraisal and/or certification and if I get a report that says the color is actually 'J' and not 'I', I will just return it to the dealer and get my money back.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seems like a great price! You may be getting a bit of a discount due to there not being a cert, but if you are comfortable with the color of the stone you should be fine, esp at this awesome price! The stone seems well cut, and the fact that there was an OGI report would set my mind at ease about purchasing an uncerted stone. The jeweler sounds like he knows his stones too. Good luck and congrats!
1.gif

miked

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I had to bump this thread...

I picked up the ring the other day - it looks absolutely fantastic. My gf was blown away by the proposal and the ring, and now we are happily engaged!!!

Thanks to all posted advice - it truly helped me realize that cut is by far the most important of the four C's, and a well cut diamond is impossible to stop looking at (at least for me)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!! I'm so glad the stone worked out for you. Smart purchase!
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!!!!! Sounds a very nice stone!!!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Your confidence is admireable. I love people who buy with their eyes.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I am sooooooo jealous that I didn't find a deal like that one!!!!

Congrats on your purchase, the ring, and the YES you got. Best wishes to you and your intended!!!
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results