shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Cut Clarification

alm0430

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I was wondering if someone could provide some clarification for me. I am recently engaged and my ring is a replica of an art deco ring. The diamond set in the ring was listed as an OEC, though the proportions seem to be off to be classified as such. The GIA certification lists the diamond as a round brilliant that is poorly cut. From what I understand, the GIA added the "circular brilliant" designation around 2013. Mine was graded in 2011. I sent them an email asking if this grade was still correct, as my diamond meets the three criteria they set in place (star length 50% or less, lower half length 65% or less, and cutlet size medium or larger). They responded and stated that it does not meet the criteria as a "circular brilliant" and is a round brilliant. When I asked for clarification as to why, they never responded. Is there something about how the diamond was cut to indicate that this is a newer stone? I love it regardless. I just find it odd that the jeweler and the GIA list the diamond as two different cuts. Here is the GIA report and a (not so great) picture of my ring for reference. Thank you!

Attachments

• GIA.png
    GIA.png
    527.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20191115_182206~3.jpg
    IMG_20191115_182206~3.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 21

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Normally I would believe the word of GIA above any jeweler, however they do make mistakes.

I’m interested in the GIA description of the culet in your stone as ‘slightly large’ when compared to the photo of your stone which doesn’t have a large culet. Could you share a close-up of the stone, and also some side and ¾ shots? Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results