shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Cut Calculator--One Never Discussed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jamesm

Rough_Rock
Hi Garry,

Thanks for the reply, but I am a little confused.
In issuing a warning you have set a process in action which will require a statement from your lawyers to say either yes you intend to enforce it or that you will not.
Until we receive either we are in an uncomfortable position.

I hope there will not be any infringement, I don’t think they are actually based on the same model and as I mentioned we have no current interest in the USA. The internet has caused many international complications though, and my knowledge of what might ensue is not very impressive.

What does the HCA rely on mathematically and what is your ‘claim’?

I do understand that you are trying to protect your hard work, and rightly so. When I was a student I took out a patent for the holographic laser fingerprinting of diamonds. A unique pattern is generated for each diamond, making the stone easy to identify. I decided it was too fiddly to be useful and it was never defended.
I believe a company in Switzerland now use similar technology. Perhaps someone knows who does this, I would like to see how much the idea has progressed and I expect, how small and portable the equipment now is. The laser I used was about 2m long and had a power pack the size of a large suite case!

You can incidentally see strain in a diamond using a similar technique by measuring fringes.

Anyway, I hope this all works out amicably so please let me know what will happen next.

Thanks from 'across the pond'

James

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
James, could you be describing the GemPrint diamond fingerprinting? www.gemprint.com

From what I understand (our diamond had this done), a laser is shined onto the stone and the result is a unique sparkle pattern, a fingerprint of the diamond, no other diamond will reflect the same pattern, and then that is captured in a database and on paper and sent to a big diamond fingerprint DB somewhere (I thought in the US?) so that if the diamond is ever lost or stolen, it can be used for retrieval purposes.

Pretty cool idea, if its the same as your original one..kudos on being ahead of your time!

jamesm

Rough_Rock
That’s the baby! Well as you can see I have little business sense.
A Swiss company I think, found the patent and wrote to me asking for more information and I sent them some samples of images. Lasers were very expensive and less accessible in those days. I never heard from them again.
On the upside at least something good is being done with it. I am surprised that they are able to offer facilities to fingerprint other stones. The main drawback I have always thought is that if any abrasion occurs to the subject, the pattern changes, as it does if a stone is recut. Just changing one facet will alter the speckle pattern. Diamonds being hard are the perfect subject though. I expect they have had time to establish if there is an underlying pattern in a stone.

Can I put the details up here or may I be in more trouble? Its quite easy and inexpensive to do now.

Garry- what is your HCA based on, ie which model do you use? I am trying not to use it for obvious reasons, but the temptation is overwhelming. I can see myself punching numbers in all weekend!

Regards from over the pond

James

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
Just a quick note of "diamond Fingerprint".
Japanese Zehokyo Lab is using cathode luminescence method to see the growth lines of the crystal. They also make fingerprint Certs.

Look here http://www.gaaj-zenhokyo.co.jp/gradeing/gradeing.html

there push the fourth yellow triangle on the left. Sorry, I cannot provide a direct link.

Also, you may want use Altavista translation service:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

S

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi James - check out www.diamond-cut.com.au and this long one:
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=21&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=diamond&s2=brilliance&OS=diamond+AND+brilliance&RS=diamond+AND+brilliance

jamesm

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sibelius, that is really interesting, what an excellent use of a process. I would like to see the difference between growth lines in various synthetic and natural diamonds.

Garry- thanks for the links. If I understand correctly you are patenting a ‘system’ of cut analysis, and the HCA sits on the back of a 3rd party engine like Octonus.

We have a different interface:- the DCA has a visual, descriptive, and mathematical output, we will have completely different code, we have our own engine and I think therefore, little similarity in products. The DCA is just a cut down module from another package, and is not intended to compete with your excellent HCA.

The only two things we share are a love of diamonds, and the letter C in HCA and in DCA represents the word CUT!

Now you have a little more information do you still intend to enforce your patent on the DCA?

Regards

James

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results