shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Crumble Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Just Kev

Rough_Rock
Advice please!

3 years ago I bought my wife a ring – 18ct yellow gold, flush set with 15 round full brilliant cut diamonds of VS clarity and G/H colour ot total weight .25ct - from a local and very reputable jeweller (‘Why’ in Corfe Castle - www.whyjewellers.co.uk). To the non-expert (me) its basically a gold band with these 15 diamonds of varying sizes flush inset. Cost then was £615.

Now 3 and a bit years later, my wife has noticed the two largest diamonds appear to be damaged in some way. Difficult to tell exactly what has happened but the exposed tops of the 2 stones seem to have crumbled off!

On taking the ring back to the original jeweller, they first of all were very sympathetic and offered to replace or repair it, but now the workshop has looked at it they are saying that it must have had an impact or been heat damaged in some way and want to charge me £160 to repair it.

The fact is my wife wears the ring pretty much all the time, but is never aware of having hit it with a hammer or put a blowtorch on it. So my question is: is it plausible that she could have damaged these diamonds through normal everyday wear? I had understood diamonds to be pretty robust (although not indestructible) which would imply that the kind of impact required to caused the diamonds to crumble in this way would also damage the band or my wife’s finger - both of which are intact.

Could any of you experts give me any comment on whether the level of impact required to cause this damage would be feasible from normal wear – which of course will include the odd scuff of the ring against a door or wall or something, or whether there must have been some weakness with the diamonds in the first place?

Also what should my next step be if the jeweller does not change his position? Perhaps I should try to get an independent apprisal to 1. Check out the damaged and remaining stones, and 2. See if the damaged stones have any clues as to what happened?

Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Kev

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/14/2003 7:55:59 AM Just Kev wrote:

Advice please!
So my question is: is it plausible that she could have damaged these diamonds through normal everyday wear? Could any of you experts give me any comment on whether the level of impact required to cause this damage would be feasible from normal wear Kev----------------

No expert here, but I DID breack a diamond... so one thing that may get them smashed is droping the ring on a hard surface (such as a tyle or stone floor) just right. This is what I did... with a 0.5 carat, unmounted piece which instantly turned into 4 or 5 pieces.
8.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
When wacked just right, diamonds can definitely cleave/split, chip etc. But your scenario sounds odd, the TOPS are crumbled off...tops I guess would be the table and/or crown area? Since that area is more flat than the other facets...seems odd that a wack on the table would crumble the stone in the top. Interesting!

If you hit the stone hard say on the girdle if it was exposed on an area that was 'very thin' -- you may get a chip or a cleave in the stone depending...but the table thing sounds really odd!

Experts..chime in!

I would definitely get it independently appraised and have someone tell you what really happened. Also they may be able to tell you more about the stones themselves...like what type of quality they are. If they are very heavily included with inclusions under the tables, then maybe that may explain more if they did in fact break on the top.

Though in the end, a few hundred bucks may not be alot to pay to get something fixed--regardless of what happened to it. The jeweler really doesn't OWE you anything unless you have a lifetime warranty policy through them or something--in writing. If you don't have the ring insured, you may want to think about it the second time around--if its worth it to you.

Diamonds are not indescructible...but chances are good that nothing extreme will happen to them unless you are punching walls daily.
1.gif
Let us know what you find out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results