shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Critiques Needed!

nik12

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post here. I am nearing an engagement somewhat soon and my boyfriend and I have been looking at rings. I think I have decided that I would like to buy from James Allen. I have my heart set on an oval halo. I value having a larger diamond over a higher color grade, therefore I am perfectly fine with a J colored diamond. I have been seeing some people say that J diamonds are not a good choice in ovals because the color shows more. Is this always true, or would a blue fluorescence help off-set that? The budget for the ring is 6k-7k, and the setting I want is $1750. I have posted the link to the diamond I am interested in. Can anyone look at it and tell me if this would be a good choice? I have been doing research and it seems like it has good qualities, but I would like opinions from others who have more knowledge than I do. Thanks so much!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.28-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-324355

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am getting a server error when I click your link. Can you check it and repost? Or the site might be down.

J color will show a little tint in an oval. I'd personally probably focus oon I color. Fluorescence is not going to show unless there is some UV lighting, so do not rely on that. Generally, you will need to choose three ovals and then ask JA to do ASET images on them and then come back and repost. People might be able to help you narrow down the other two stones. There are good ovals out there, but you really have to search.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, that is not a good choice. It has a big bow tie and the faceting pattern is really lacking. Let me look to see what I can find.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a link to 6 stones that are well, not bad. Honestly, I would not go down to a J in an Oval. I'm not sure if I would go below
H but if you are after size going lower in color is an option. You would need to pick your favorite 3 then request asets and post
them.

EDIT - Oops, forgot the link :oops:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/?CaratFrom=0.98&CaratTo=15.00&PriceFrom=200&PriceTo=4310&Sort=Carat%20asc,%20DefaultOrder&TabSelected=3&DiamondID=347821,359350,353379,263587,271363,327265

Be sure to look at the lenght/width for size and not the carat weight.

nik12

Rough_Rock
I appreciate everyones feedback, it was really helpful! I am certainly glad I asked because it eliminated that diamond.
In my search, I always focus on the length and width measurements as opposed to the carat weight, so at least I'm looking at one thing right! Carat weight ranges too much so I don't always pay much attention to that. Ideally, I would like to have a center stone in the 8x6mm range.
I have read about bowties in ovals a bit, but I'm not entirely sure what they are and how to spot one. Same goes for the faceting pattern. Any tips? Diamond searching is a lot more overwhelming than I was expecting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results