shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Costs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dgehring

Rough_Rock
I am in the process of purchasing a Wedding Ring. I have found a ring and want to know if it is worth the price that I am getting. Please let me know if this is a good deal?
(1)Center Stone: 1.58c Princess Cut, G-H, SI1-SI2 Excellent Clarity.
(2)Side stones: Trilions: .33 each same as the center stone.
Mounting is a one piece white gold.

The jeweler gave me a price of $8700.
Please advise if this is a good price.
Thanks.

limey

Shiny_Rock
If it is an excellent stone then it is probably a good price based on size. BUT! You need more info, and you need to compare lots of Princesses to know when you are seeing a good one. I imagine that this stone is already set which makes it a bit harder.

I am sure other experts will chime in, I am only here like you as I research what to buy. A few tips/hints/questions:

1. Is it eye-clean? SI1-2 is OK so long as you can not see anything with the naked eye
2. Where are they inclusions? Have you seen them?
3. Is it certed? i.e. GIA
4. Ask for the Table %, Crown Height %, Girdle Thickness, Total Depth %, Polish/Symmetry. These numbers will give you a indication about cut quality. Every princess I see in B&M's have awful cut percentages. Supposedly there are good ones out there but I am yet to see one. Ask to see the Princess against a good round and you will see what I mean. Go to:
Gem Appraiser, click on AGA Cut Grades and then select Princess to get a good guide as to what the numbers should be. You should be able to find a 2A or 1B. If anything look around some of the recommended sites (WhiteFlash, GOG, etc).

Also, just my opinion spend the money on the diamond, and a simple tiffany-style setting and avoid the trilliums for now.

Andrew

limey

Shiny_Rock
I just saw in your profile that you are in Milan, I am in Ann Arbor! Which jeweler are you working with??

oh, and here is a decent one:
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-586913.htm

Andrew

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I agree. Price will be directly related to cut quality. So there is no way to tell if you;re getting a good deal. Also, there is no such thing as an G-H Si1-Si2 if the stone has a cert. It's one or the other on the cert ... unless it's a worthless cert (not one of the major ones). I stay away from places that try to tell you otherwise
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
And I think that price is much too low unless you have a connection with the jeweler (friend, family, a long-time history of buying tons of stuff from them) (LOL...if there is such a thing as a too low price!- but there is!) You get what you pay for!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
although...ya know what...on dirtcheap...you can get a 1.5 G Si1, "ideal" cut, for 7800. So maybe the price isn't so low that I'd be nervous. If it's a price for an H si2, I actully think that is too high.

limey

Shiny_Rock
Great points moremoremore! There is no way it is certed with such ranges. It is probably an H, SI2 and average US Domestic Cut . I looked on white flash and there are some beauties in this range that cost less than Dale found at his B&M.

Dale drop me a PM or Email and we can chat.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Just a rookie here, but I think that I have heard of split grades when the diamond was "appraised" or "graded" after it was set. Probably some in-house type of grading. (jeweler graded his own)
Can't say if that's the case or not, but it might be.

Shay

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
if it was graded after it was set, it's not a "real" cert!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results