shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond cost

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rcouch

Rough_Rock
A jeweler friend of mine has a round 2ct,I color,VSI with no flourescense. He works in a B&M store. This diamond was an estate peice. Set in 14k ,6 prong setting.What should I offer him ?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi rcouch,Well, that's not such an easy question. You need some more information about the diamond. Does it come with a GIA diamond grading report? Much of price is also determined by the cut grade of the diamond. A Sarin report which shows the true cut of the diamond would also be helpful.This diamond is used, which also has an effect on price.See if you can get some more information and post it here. If it doesn't have a GIA cert., ask your friend to send it off.This is a start...

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
You can also have the diamond sent to an independent appraiser like Dave Atlas, www.gemappraisers.com or Bill Lieberum, www.consumersgemlab.com. Many sellers will send stones to them before the buyer puts up any money.These guys are both independent (they don't sell diamonds to consumers) so they have no interest other than to give you their honest, expert opinions. They can check the C's for you and give you their opinion on what is a reasonable price for the diamond.lawmax
smile.gif

rcouch

Rough_Rock
Hi Lawmax,
diamond doesn't have a GIA grading report.My friend is an independent jeweler. Don't think he would send it off. Thanks for your help.. round briliant cut,lots of sparkle.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Then you are taking a risk that the color and clarity are properly graded.I know it sounds terrible, buy many people have been taken advantage of by a "friend". If this person won't send it off to GIA (it doesn't cost a jeweler much), you can offer to pay for it and ask him to send it.If this seller is a "friend", he will do what any other seller will do, and at least let you take it to an independent appraiser without paying for it first, with a small refundable deposit, or with a full, money back guarantee given so many days if you decide you don't want it.For prices, you can look here, although these are for current, internet prices for *new* diamonds. Notice the difference in prices according to cut quality.
http://www.pricescope.com/RepScope.asp Hope this helps you somewhat.Do you love this diamond? Have you compared it to many others?The problem in choosing a price is that you really don't know for sure what you are buying.Good luck.
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I second Lawmax,Price jumps with every change in the color or clarity grade. Cut quality affects the price too. You need to have expert opinion on this diamond.Price for 2 crt I-VS1 can vary from $12k to 16k only because of cut quality.Now, if it is not VS1 but SI1 the price should be some $2k lower everything else kept the same…

rcouch

Rough_Rock
diamond is beautiful. no carbon just what looks like (2)pin pricks, hard to see under loupe. freind is an independent appraiser.very trustworthy. asking 14k, I can buy it for 12k but would like to spend only 10k.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Rcouch,We really hope you'll get a great diamond and a good deal. We also have no reason to question your friend integrity.We just telling you what are the right things to do in the case like yours. Even $10k is quite a bit of money so it would be worth spending $50-100 more to get third expert opinion especially if the diamond has no grading report. The person that sells you anything (car, house, etc) cannot be independent by definition.In what lightening conditions have you seen the diamond? Many diamonds look great under bright light. The difference between ideal and overage cut will be seen under dim light, e.g. candle.Have you been able to compare this diamond with others?

rcouch

Rough_Rock
Leonid, I would still like your opinion on the price, knowing what you know about it . Also what can I expect to pay on the internet for this size and quality of diamond? I would also like any comments by any one else also.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Well, assuming that the diamond is really 2.00 carat, I color, VS1 clarity and well cut, $12-$14K sounds about right.In the internet for 2.00-I-VS1 diamond with GIA or AGS grading report you can expect $12.5-14K for overage cut and $16-$17K for ideal H&A cut.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
dont mess about, ask your buddy to send it to an independant expert. I recomend Dave Atlas, who devised the only US cut standard where all the stones in the top grade are rated Ecxellent on the Cut Adviser.
He can give you as good or better than a GIA cert.
Garry Holloway

rcouch

Rough_Rock
thanks for the help....I want to get the wife a ring like the one I found. In case I don't buy this one . Do you guys know where I can get one like this for around 10k? You can email me if you know.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
That is tough
smile.gif
Run a search here and you'll see that prices for certified and well cut 2-I-VS1 diamonds are above $12K.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Not having the cut info, but basing it on carat, color, clarity only(missing one important C), the price can be about 10K to a ideal cut of say around 16k, and an eightstar even higher. These prices would also have some kind of lab papers (EGL, GIA, or AGS).Good luck in your hunt.------------------

whiteflash.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results