shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Cost vs. Setting Cost

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shakfu3

Rough_Rock
I need some help in deciding on how to spend my budget of $5K. At first, my plan was to get a 1.0 c.t. stone for about $4200 and spend the rest on the setting. But I'm confused now after looking into settings and I am now wondering if it might make more sense to spend a little less on the diamond and spend more on the setting (i.e. $3000/$2000).

Do the ladies have a preference as to how much weight should be given to the diamond vs. the setting? I guess at the end of the day it is a personal preference but I'm trying to see if there is some general consensus.

Thanks,
Shak

Edited to add that this ring is for my girlfriend

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, this is a personal preference. Personally, my setting was as important as my stone. I think we ended up spending more on my wedding set than the diamond itself, but then mine is only a .82 EC.

Is this for you or your girlfriend? If you're a guy, what I'd do is spend a lot more on the stone and get a very simple Tiffany-style setting. Then you can shop for the set together. If you're buying a wedding set together, she can chip in with her own money and you won't have to worry about getting her something she may not love.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm with Hest. The stone will stay with you for a long time. Settings wear out, fads change, etc. I'd go most of the budget on the stone.

Besides, it's fun to change settings later.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I agree, if this is an ering for your gal, get a simple setting and choose the final setting together. Even if it means waiting a while until you can afford a really nice setting, I think purchasing the largest, best-quality stone you can afford now is the the best use of your dollars. Remember, shrinkage sets in pretty quick.
2.gif

Diamondlil

magna2

Shiny_Rock
I am with the others. I would suggest spending money on the diamond rather than a fancy setting. It is easier and cheaper to just change setting later on than to change diamond and setting when you fancy a better e-ring.

Although, to me, the e-ring should be forever since it is the symbol of the proposal and engagement.

rodent.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Spend the $$$$$ on the diamond. You can always get an elaborate/expensive setting down the road.
Get her a simple 4 or 6 prongs Tiffany style setting, so that she can wear it as soon as you propose. You won't do wrong. Then, let her choose the setting. She will pick out what she would like to wear forever.
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I used to think an engagement ring was forever too. Then years went by, my tastes changed with my age, and it was time for a something different. I'm not talking about a year or two down the road. I mean almost two decades.

I don't know if "most" women trade in their diamonds and/or settings after 10 or 20 years of marriage, but I think most women would choose differently in their 40s than than they did in their 20s, don't you? I think it's wisdom.
wink2.gif

Diamondlil

Smooth

Rough_Rock
I spent about $3600 on my e-ring and $1200 of that was on the setting and sapphire sidestones. I really wanted to get a setting I liked because I felt that it was very important to the overall look of the ring. Also, it was a little more costly to get platinum but I think it was worth it.

I did buy the diamond from a vendor with a lifetime trade-up policy so that I could upgrade that later if I wanted to.

Additionally, I would say it depends on your fiancée. I know mine did not want to pick out her own e-ring setting (she told me as much) because she wanted to be surprised and she thinks I have good taste. Also, knowing her, I severely doubt that she will ever want to change the setting, at least not for many, many years. That's whay I spent a fair portion of my budget on a durable, good-looking setting.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going against the flow but if I were in your position, I'd buy a great setting and compromise on the diamond. Extra money spent upgrading the diamond probably won't be as easily noticed as extra money spent upgrading the setting.

I agree that it might be wise to let her choose the setting.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Shak: I guess it depends on what your GF likes.

If your budget is flexible....meaning that you'd be okay with spending more if it didn't have to be all up front....then I'd say go $4600-4700 on the stone and the rest on a simple temporary setting. Have your GF help pick out permanent as suggested above. In doing so, you could end up going to $6K total once the setting is picked, but you'd only have to put out the $5K up front.

I run a little against the grain on this one personally. I want a more distinctive setting, so my opinion would differ from the others. On a budget of $5K that wasn't movable, I'd follow your first instincts and go for the $4200 range stone and the balance on the setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results