shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Comparison: 1.53 VVS1 vs 1.53 VS1

natedogg

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

Looking for a comparison on these two diamonds? Both have an HCA of 1 and fall within GIA Excellent and PGS Grade 0. However, the VS1 on HCA says it looks big for its size, while the more VVS1 says that it looks average for its size. Is there a big difference between VVS1 and VS1, and likewise between D and F?

1.53 Carat, Round, Super Ideal Cut, D Color, VVS1 Clarity - $8450
Measurements:

• 7.39 X 7.34 X 4.56 mm
  • Depth: 61.9%
  • Table: 56.5%
  • Crown: 35.2
  • Pavillion: 40.6

1.53 Carat, Round, Super Ideal Cut, F Color, VS1 Clarity - $5410
Measurements:

• 7.41mm x 7.38mm x 4.57mm
  • Depth: 61.9%
  • Table: 55%
  • Crown: 34.8
  • Pavillion: 40.7

edit: I just checked out the link and realised these are lab diamonds - you will need to move this post to lab diamond forum as I believe we are not allowed to discuss them here. You can click “report post” and request the admins to move this post to the lab diamond forum. I’ll post my comment again once it’s moved :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will not visually see a difference between VS1 compared to VVS1. It is highly unlikely that you will see a difference between D and F, although some people can (I would say it's very unlikely). I would always go for VS clarity because I don't want to ay extra for something I can't see, and I know personaly I cannot see differences between D-F

natedogg

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies! Had this moved to the Lab Grown section, didn't realize there was a difference, they're essentially the same :razz:.

It's difficult to get ASET and IdealScope images right now but doing the best I can. I have the first one in a temporary setting while they work on a custom design so I'll examine that one when it gets here, but otherwise have to trust that they can provide images so that I can evaluate the performance of the diamonds online.

Anyone have other recommended retailers for custom rings? Either somewhere I can just bring a lab grown diamond to or that offers lab grown diamonds?

Last edited:

natedogg

Rough_Rock
Also besides the differences in clarity and color, does anyone have any preferences on the dimensions of the two diamonds? The crown seems a little large on the first one but not sure if there is a middle ground people try to reach when it comes to all of those dimensions and angles?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I like the numbers and overall visual on two but I think I see some faint stria- it should not be visible to the naked eye though.

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
I like #2.

Have you tried plugging your parameters into the rare carat search filters? It allows very specific advanced filters, including table, crown, and pavilion angles. I think that you should be able to find a comparable stone for less, possibly a lot less.

natedogg

Rough_Rock
I like #2.

Have you tried plugging your parameters into the rare carat search filters? It allows very specific advanced filters, including table, crown, and pavilion angles. I think that you should be able to find a comparable stone for less, possibly a lot less.

The only problem is I started a custom ring design with Brilliant Earth as well. Didn't read all of the horror stories until after I did that.... Do you know of any jewelers who do custom ring designs without purchasing a center stone from them?

The only problem is I started a custom ring design with Brilliant Earth as well. Didn't read all of the horror stories until after I did that.... Do you know of any jewelers who do custom ring designs without purchasing a center stone from them?

You could always work with someone like David Klass who is quite highly recommended around here and who will work on outside stones, and who is quite reasonably priced. Haven’t used him myself but I’ve heard good things. You can search for him on PS - there’s a thread of his pieces and many reviews.

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock

There are lots of options for custom design settings, or semi-mounts. Some popular ones folks mention a lot are David Klass, and the wedding bee and Reddit r/Moissanite threads are full of reviews for Chinese vendors that do custom work, both with and without stones, for moissy and lab diamond. Etsy is also a good resource for jewelers who do custom design work, and will be willing to set your stone.

Also, don’t count out your local independent jeweler. I would avoid the big chains, but a local shop with a good reputation should be able to order just about anything from Stuller, and may have custom CAD design capability for your diamond. I just bought a diamond, and plan on having my local jeweler re-work my current setting to accommodate the new stone. I also think it’s important to support local businesses right now, and they’re a great resource for maintenance and repairs.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the F personally & that chunk of change you’re saving can go towards your e-ring & band. ;)) I don’t like paying for what I can’t see either.

Plenty of jewellers will work with outside stones. If you feel like you’re stuck with Brilliant Earth re: custom setting, I’d back out. David Klass is a good place to start. Check his Instagram feed for design styles. There are threads on here too you can search out. Good luck!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with number 2!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results