shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond colour on valuation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I am currently getting my ER remodelled, and today I visited to see the progress so far and I am very concerned that it has been valued as a "K" colour diamond, whereas when it was purchased and on my two previous valuations of the ring it has been quoted as "G/H" colour. I can''t understand how there can be such a big difference?? The valuer did show me his comparison diamonds and although I really couldn''t tell much difference at all between the G and the K under normal lights, I still can''t quite fathom the difference. Any ideas?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 7:29:34 AM
Author:loveloveloveit
Hi,

I am currently getting my ER remodelled, and today I visited to see the progress so far and I am very concerned that it has been valued as a 'K' colour diamond, whereas when it was purchased and on my two previous valuations of the ring it has been quoted as 'G/H' colour. I can't understand how there can be such a big difference?? The valuer did show me his comparison diamonds and although I really couldn't tell much difference at all between the G and the K under normal lights, I still can't quite fathom the difference. Any ideas?
First, does your diamond have a reliable lab grading report such as GIA or AGS? What shape is the diamond and what size? This doesn't sound right to me so a bit more info is needed. Is the valuer an actual independant appraiser?

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 7:29:34 AM
Author:loveloveloveit
Hi,

I am currently getting my ER remodelled, and today I visited to see the progress so far and I am very concerned that it has been valued as a 'K' colour diamond, whereas when it was purchased and on my two previous valuations of the ring it has been quoted as 'G/H' colour. I can't understand how there can be such a big difference?? The valuer did show me his comparison diamonds and although I really couldn't tell much difference at all between the G and the K under normal lights, I still can't quite fathom the difference. Any ideas?
Might be easier to compare color grades by turning the stones upside down on a plain white card and comparing the tint on the pavillions. The difference in G and K should be quite noticeable since G is the last of the near colorless grade while K is just a grade above 'faint light yellow'. But without a GIA or AGS reports, it's often down to a jeweler's own perception and interpretation.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 10:25:26 AM
Author: DiamondFlame
The difference in G and K should be quite noticeable since G is the last of the near colorless grade while K is just a grade above ''faint light yellow''.

You probably mean G is the first grade of the near colorless range instead of the last of the near colorless range.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are in a far to common situation. Color is something that was imparted by God but the color grade came from the grader. This means it’s terribly important to notice who is doing the grading, under what conditions and to decide if you believe their opinion has merits. It’s not at all out of the question that two graders will have wildly different conclusions and the trick is to choose the one that you consider the most credible and ignore the other. I’ve no clue who is ‘right’ here (if either)nor does anyone else without seeing the stone and this is the reason that you hear the common recommendation that you should rely on well established and well regarded labs that use standardized methodology. Your valuer showed you his/her masters and demonstrated their logic. What does the G/H grader back up their conclusions with? Given a master stone or two for comparison and a reasonable light, telling the difference between a G and a K isn't all that difficult. Does it look like a G?

By the way, if you do decide to send it to a lab, while it’s unmounted between restylings is a good time to do it since the best grading is done on an unmounted stone.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Good spot, Stonecold. Thanks.
25.gif

Anyway, even within the same GIA-certified color grade, there could be subtle variations...

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
An accurately graded G-H stone should show pretty much no color face up, and only the slightest tint when looking through the pavilion. Where a K color shows a slight tint face up, and a more noticeable tint through the pavilion. In GIA terms G-H color is generally considered pure white goods, the highest of the near colorless grades, but this is only with rigorous grading standards. In less rigorous grading scenarios G/H color can mean slightly yellow tinted goods. It just depends who is doing the grading, and how strict and accurate their system is.

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone, the stone is out of setting at the moment because it''s at the jewellers being remodelled so I guess it''s at the best place now to be accurately graded - I would have thought they were very good and the stone "expert" there would be pretty accurate. The last valuation was done once the stone was set, but the one prior to that was while it was being reset so the size etc is accurate and I imagine they would have done the same. I can post a photo of it in it''s original setting, which was surrounded in rose gold which didn''t actually look that great. also it''s only a .66 stone so the setting was too bulky as well - hence the remodel (twice!!). It is my hope that I will be able to upgrade the stone in a couple of years but I''ve no idea what I would be able to get for my original stone, which is why I''m worried about how they grade it. I know this is not a great photo btw but it''s the only digital one I have ...

origengscot.jpg

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, now I have the rings back (well, my sister has collected and photographed them, I will have them tomorrow) I thought you might be interested to see. the colour grading on the centre stone is still far off what the previous valuation had stated but I will get a second opinion and see from there. incidentally the stones in the wedder are all graded an F, so it doesn''t make sense that they would have been matched to a K stone when I originally purchased them ... hmmm hope I can get the pics to work!!

jrjremodel.jpg

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
and side view ...

jrjsideremodel.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/9/2009 6:55:29 AM
Author: loveloveloveit
Hi, now I have the rings back (well, my sister has collected and photographed them, I will have them tomorrow) I thought you might be interested to see. the colour grading on the centre stone is still far off what the previous valuation had stated but I will get a second opinion and see from there. incidentally the stones in the wedder are all graded an F, so it doesn't make sense that they would have been matched to a K stone when I originally purchased them ... hmmm hope I can get the pics to work!!
Hey loveloveloveit, thanks for the photos - but it's impossible for people here to form any meaningful color opinions when camera particulars, lighting and infinite monitor settings & age differences influence what's on our screens.

You haven't answered a key question Lorelei asked: Who assigned the original grade? Did you have a lab report stating is was G or H - and if so what lab issued that evaluation?

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
thanks john, the diamond itself never had a lab valuation only the ring once the diamond had been set in it. the original diamond came from an insurance replacement a number of years ago, and well before i knew anything at all about diamonds unfortunately. i only know what the jeweller had told me it would be, and then what the ring valuations (two of them) said prior to this one.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok - Understood. In that case I''d reiterate what Neil wrote above... What you''re told depends on who''s doing the grading, under what conditions - and what motivates them. For example, it''s not unheard of for a seller to overestimate what he''s selling or a competitor to underestimate the same item. That may not be relevant here but it goes to the point of how fluid grading subjectivity can be. It is also why GIA and AGS reports are valued - for consistency - and why a reputable independent appraiser (disinterested in the sale) is a prudent resource for determining real values for ungraded pieces.

It''s great that you''re learning all about this stuff now. Be careful or you''ll get addicted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results