shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

femmommy930

Rough_Rock
hello everyone

i hope this reaches to all of you in good health. i am just curious about something and hope that you guys could help me out with something.

my husband is looking to purchase a new wedding set for me and one of the diamonds that we were looking at was an "I" color diamond. in a gold setting, will that look yellow? i have been doing alot of research about diamond color but alot of different people have different opinions about when the colorless ends and the tinted begins. some places consider "J" to be the end of colorless and some say "I". the stone is very beautiful and sparkly but i don''t want to buy it and then wear it in everyday life and then notice the sucker is tinted.

hope i hear from someone soon. thanks again
femmommy930

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
The most important thing you can learn on this site is that cut is king. A well cut diamond will look whiter than an average cut of the same color.

But I'm not an expert so I can only relate my own experience to you. I have two 'I' colored trillion diamonds which I took from an old 14k yellow gold engagement ring and set into white gold studs. Those stones pop in white gold whereas previously they were barely noticeable in yellow. Whether that's a characteristic of an 'I' color, the cut of the diamonds, or the particular setting, I really can't say. And although they look much whiter in white gold, and I get lots of compliments on them, they're not white enough for me. Color sensitivity is very subjective.

So my advice would be to go with your gut. If you're uncertain how happy you'll be with 'I', go up to 'H' if possible.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck !

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
I personally wear a 2.25 carat, SI-1 clarity, I color stone with medium blue fluorescence which I have set down inside of a yellow gold ring with smaller diamonds set around the perimeter of the diamond... It's not an ideal cut which might surprise a lot of the people here who "know me" but hey, it was a gift and who am I to complain
2.gif

Anyway, I can see a little color in the stone if I "look" for it, but I've never had a customer or anybody else comment about it when they look at the stone... Now are you setting the diamond in yellow gold with yellow gold prongs or bezel set in yellow gold or is the ring merely yellow gold and the prongs are going to be white metal? In the first scenario, the diamond is likely to look yellow because it will pick up the hue of the metal which surrounds it, but in the second scenario the white metal will offset the yellow metal in the ring and help keep the diamond looking white.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
It is interesting to me that several other diamond sellers I've talked with also have low-color stones themselves, not just R&T and 8* Richard but our own jeweler as well. And I similarly remember Dave Atlas posting that his wife's diamond was cut class 2A.

With all the "high ideals" espoused here, I think there is an important lesson to be learned from this...

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Elmo
This is a standing joke in our office, Our grader who is also a bit of a cut quality fanatic wears an elegant gents ring with a “ L “ color diamond, it is however well cut.

Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Exceptional point, Elmo. It is VERY easy in this venue to get very hung up on the numbers and on "perfection", etc. However, how much weight we give each element is a matter of personal choice.

There's what we would do with unlimited resources, and then there are the choices that we have to make when working within a budget. The key is to get the best blend of the elements according to one's preference.
9.gif

femmommy930

Rough_Rock
the setting is a yellow gold channel set with white gold prongs. when i was in the store the whole thing looked wonderful. my mother was with me and she said it looked great- fyi, she is one of the most picky and elitist persons that i know when it comes to diamonds- and the saleswoman was honest about the inclusions telling me where they were etc.

i thought it was nice, but when you start to read all the message boards and esp. see all the pictures of d's,e's,f's etc you start to get a little paranoid
1.gif

thanks for responding

p.s. would you be able to send a picture of your setting? greatly appreciated
1.gif

femmommy930

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
As an I/SI larger stone owner, I am more than happy with less money on my hands than my original G/VS requirement. It wasn't a budget issue. It was a conscious choice. It was the cheapest yet prettiest stone I looked at.

My stone is set in platinum w/ better color baguettes beside it. I can't see any body color. But, like NiceIce, my stone pocesses med/strong blue fluor & albeit a very good make, not ex ex ideal.

As an aside, the type of cut (RB vs emerald, etc)of the stone matters. A well cut RB can mask quite a bit of body color while an Emerald cut can not. I do not know about trilliants; but, I would imagine they would show more color than RB's.

Another consideration is the size of the stone. Stones in the 1 carat range will show less body color than stones of higher carat weight.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results