shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Color & White Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

prosecutrix

Rough_Rock
Trade
I was wondering if any of the professional jewelers can give me their opinion on what the color limits of a diamond would be to set it in white gold without the color being obvious to the average person. In other words: would you set a diamond with H or I color in a white gold setting? Thanks

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
"Because platinum is very white, it shows off colorless diamonds beautifully. But diamonds of ‘I, J and K’ color or lower should be set in yellow gold, because the contrast with a white setting will make your diamond look a little yellowish."

:)) [/u]

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
Wait a sec, this article seems to imply that a one carat round will look completely white with no traces of yellow, yet I've been told that H is the minimum for a completely yellowless diamond (visible to the naked eye of course). So which is it? Is it a waste of $$$ to get anything above "I" if all you're looking for is naked eye perfection, or would the extra money invested into an "H" be worth it or noticable?

prosecutrix

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am confused about this too... my diamond seems to be sortof borderline. It's 3/4 carat, with about an I color, but I know the proportions are a little off (it's somewhat rectangular...) Anyway, If anyone else has an opinion, or tips, please let me know!

curious

Rough_Rock
Is there a difference in how a diamond looks in a platinum setting as compared to a white gold setting?

Since a white gold setting tends to be a little yellowish, does it make the diamond seem yellowish too?

I am talking about an F color stone, round.

larry

Rough_Rock
I think it is going to depend on if the settings are rhodium plated. Rhodium plating is a common and accepted practice in the jewelry industry so you will want to check to see if the setting is rhodium plated. without the really shiny rhodium plating Platinum is grayish white and yellow gold does have a yellow tint to it.

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
My ring will be 18K yellow gold with a shiny platinum six prong setting. I think I'll stick with the H color though, seems to be the consensus for absolute whiteness.

larry

Rough_Rock
FYI: If they use two types of metal for the setting (white gold ring and platinum basket) it is normally rhodium plated to make a uniform color.

tehotu

Rough_Rock
Okay, so unless it's "H" in color or better, if it is set in platinum, there will be a tint of yellow that's noticeble to the eye? I thought I had a diamond all sorted out:

Crt
Col
Clar
AGS
Total/Brl-Fr-Sct-Spd
Dpt
Tbl
Crn
Pav
Lab
Gdl
Cul
Sym
Pol
Flr
Price
Source

Carat: 1.037
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
0 (H&A)
A Cut Above
1.1-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg
Depth%: 61.7
Table%: 54
Crown Angle: 34.8°
Pavillion%: 43%
Lab: AGS
Girdle: 0.8to1.2
Culet: pt
Symmetry: id
Polish: id
Flourescence: no
PRICE: $4555

I was going to have it set in platinum, but now I'm thinking otherwise? Can I still set it in platinum? It doesn't have any blue flourescence to offset it's I-color, and I haven't found any with those specs. Will there be a visible yellow tint or is it something that won't be able to be seen to the untrained eye?

Please help ... I thought I had the diamond all picked out...

Tehotu

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results