shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond color when setting in Yellow Gold? Does it show?

tarank

Rough_Rock
Hi

Can anyone advise if we are setting an oval diamond in yellow gold - if it would show through as a yellow tinge?

The prongs will also be yellow gold and the bridge.

Would the yellow from the setting show through and have a yellow influence on the diamond?

What color would you recommend we go with?

Is I good?

Or G/H better?

We aren't sure what to do. If it will show through yellow anyways - is it best to save money and go for an I color, or pay more for g/h?

Thanks!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Only you can decide if you think it will bother you, but I have some lower colored stones in both white and yellow gold, and they look pretty darn white to me. The yellow gold can make the stone look whiter, by contrast. I think "I" color is likely very safe, "J" color might be a little bit more iffy--depends if you will be viewing the body color or if the setting has more of a closed gallery/side view.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the stone has a lot of leakage yes it can face up.
Even if it doesn't there are some angles where it might.
But the biggest variables by a very huge margin are lighting, eyesight/color sensitivity and viewing distance.

tarank

Rough_Rock
Karl_K|1489443856|4139835 said:
But the biggest variables by a very huge margin are lighting, eyesight/color sensitivity and viewing distance.

Sorry I am not entirely familiar with "leakage" .. I was advised the diamond " faces up I color " when I asked if it is too yellow - they said its not yellow face up, Face up is I.

I have reviewed photos and don't notice too much yellow showing through however as photos lighting etc differs from reality..

Is there a certain setting style that may decrease the yellowness showing through? Higher set/etc.

Thank you all for your help and advice

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
tarank|1489503314|4140089 said:

Sorry I am not entirely familiar with "leakage" .. I was advised the diamond " faces up I color " when I asked if it is too yellow - they said its not yellow face up, Face up is I.

I have reviewed photos and don't notice too much yellow showing through however as photos lighting etc differs from reality..

Is there a certain setting style that may decrease the yellowness showing through? Higher set/etc.

Thank you all for your help and advice

A higher set stone won't help it be whiter. Mainly, you won't see color from the top view (looking at the diamond's table, the flat part), but you may notice body color from the side view. So a ring setting where the stone is totally open on the side, you may notice more color. Obscuring that side view can help obscure the body color, but it won't make it look whiter from the top down view.

For example, a setting like this, you can easily see the side of the diamond: https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/4-prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-587.htm

But with a setting like this, more of the side is covered: https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm

Personally, I think "I" colored stones look very bright and relatively white from both the top and side views. I own an AGS certed radiant cut that's graded I color and I see no yellow or brown tinge. I also own an AGS L color antique, and I can definitely see the warmer color, but I like it.

There are also many PSers who have I color stones in halos, and the difference in color between the halo stones is negligible.

Play around with Blue Nile's tool, it somewhat demonstrates differences in color. https://www.bluenile.com/education/diamonds/color

"I" color is still in the "near colorless" range. It''s not "yellow," but rather just slightly "warmer" than an icy white D. Some people who are very color sensitive may be able to notice color in an I graded stone, but most people aren't viewing diamonds under perfect lab conditions--diamonds pick up colors in the environment so if you're in a purple room, your diamond may look purple--it doesn't mean the diamond is purple. Also keep in mind that most people also don't have ideal cut diamonds. Comparing a poorly cut G to an ideal cut I, hands down, people are going to want the ideal cut stone regardless of color. Some cultures may value higher colors, but unless you absolutely need a color for cultural or religious regions, and I color ideal cut diamond is going to be amazing.

Also keep in mind that diamonds are graded for color FACE DOWN from the side.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
tarank|1489503314|4140089 said:

Sorry I am not entirely familiar with "leakage" ..
Leakage is areas of the diamond that draw light from the bottom not the top of the diamond.
As you see in this computer generated oval diamond with a lot of leakage that the red background shows through enough to change the color appearance of large areas of the diamond.
Something similar can happen with the diamonds setting.
This is different than the body color of the diamond which the labs grade.
It depends on how well the diamond is cut.

ovalleakage.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is the ASET image for the computer generated oval.
Leakage is white.
Some vendors will provide an ASET image of a diamond you are considering.
There are several good threads that explain ASET in great detail or you can post it here and ask for opinions.

ovalasetimage.jpg

Clio_C

Rough_Rock
You just have to go see for yourself in person and decide. In my opinion, lights in most jewelry stores make diamonds look "yellower" than they really appear. The jeweler should allow you to take a stone outside to see the color in sunlight and indirect light. If you are buying online, just go to a decent brick and mortar store and ask them to show you some ovals in GIA H-J colors so you can get an idea. An "I" in an oval appears white to me. I wouldn't pay the premium to bump up to a G or H, but that's *my* opinion only. Your mileage may vary ;-)

BELLA9280

Shiny_Rock
i think its something you have to see for yourself to make the ultimate decision. If buying online make sure its refundable or exchangeable.

Wmiod

Rough_Rock
I would do H/I. Def not a G, no need.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The more gold around and close to a diamond the whiter it will appear - especially if the diamond is a lower color.
This is counter intuitive.
If you set a J-K in white setting it will be more obvious than setting the same stone in a yellow setting.

fair75

Rough_Rock
If you want to set the diamond in yellow gold, I think you can go down to even L or M. But that also depends on your preferences.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results