shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
Hi. I am looking to purchase a diamond for an engagment ring. After months of research we have decided that Cut, Color, and Carat size are the most important aspects of a diamond and that if something has to take a backseat, Clarity would be it. That being said we want to purchase a diamond that is eye-clean. What clarity grade would be the lowest you can go and still have an eye clean diamond. Would it be VS2 or SI1? The diamond that we are looking to purchase would be a colorless (D perferably) Ideal cut, 1.50 carat round diamond. I see a large price difference when it comes to choosing between a clarity of VS2 and SI1. Are SI1 diamonds, still eye clean? Also, can you tell the color difference between D, E, F, diamonds? Thanks!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
It depends on who grades the diamond, where the inclusions are, etc.

If it is a GIA, or AGS (or similar grading co) than it is really possible an SI1 would be eye-clean.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
And ocassionally you can get an eyeclean SI2 as well, which will really save you.

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
It would be graded by GIA or ASI or the like. Where and which types of inclusions are the less noticable? Thanks!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
White inclusions are less noticable better than black. Also, inclusions on the side of the diamond that can be covered up by a prong are also preferable.

In an ideal cut round, almost no one can tell the difference between a D and an F. Especially once set.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I have an SI 2 that is perfectly eye clean from all directions. It has several small inclusions that I can only see with a ten power loupe. You have to specify to the vendor that you will oly consider eye clean stones and then discuss the matter to determine what they mean as eye clean--totally invisible with the naked eye or invisible at a distance of say 12 inches.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
F is more cost effective than a D, and it will be hard to tell the difference, particularly when set. As for clarity, as long as you can''t see the inclusions, you''re good. I would just make sure with a vendor that any SI1 or SI2 stones in question are eye clean, and that is, from a few inches away from your eye, not the 10-12 inch distance usually used to determine whether something is eye clean.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d personally rather have an F VS2 over a D SI1. Why go to the top in color but low in clarity? To me, going to E or F in color still keeps you in the top colors, and VS2 is a good balance in clarity.

mcblohe

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I''m also looking for something similar to your search criteria? have you found something you like? any advice on which websites to look?
Thanks

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2007 7:29:08 AM
Author: Ellen
And ocassionally you can get an eyeclean SI2 as well, which will really save you.
Completely agree with this.

I now own four AGS SI2 stones - all are completely eyeclean. Two are .75, one is .55, and one is 1.24.

As long as you look at it yourself (if you''re buying in person), or ASK the vendor in question (who will be very straight if it''s a reputable PS vendor), then you''re good to go.

Most vendors here have a fairly generous return policy, too, so if you found it to be less than eyeclean to your eyes, you could easily return it.

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for everyone''s replies. Does the clarity of a diamond have any effect on its brillance? Does it effect it in anyway?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/16/2007 6:44:10 PM
Author: DiamondSeeker7
Thanks for everyone''s replies. Does the clarity of a diamond have any effect on its brillance? Does it effect it in anyway?
Normally not until it becomes included enough to affect the appearance of the stone, usually at I1 or lower. An I3 can be a particularly dull stone, regardless of the cut because there is so much junk in there blocking the light.

You can have SI2''s that are totally eye clean and VS2''s that are not, it depends on the location and nature of the inclusion and also on your eye sight. I had a client who for years could see any VS2 that I set in front of him, in spite of the fact that neither his fiance or I could. Suddenly a couple of years ago his eyes changed and now he is quite content an not able to fine SI1 inclusions. Saves him a LOT of money!

Wink

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.01 SI2 color I princess cut, you cannot see anything from the top, there is a brown feather on the side near a prong, but that is is, it has alot of sparkle and no one is gonna noitce the feather on the side unless I point it out
21.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2007 7:55:47 PM
Author: diamondringlover
I have a 1.01 SI2 color I princess cut, you cannot see anything from the top, there is a brown feather on the side near a prong, but that is is, it has alot of sparkle and no one is gonna noitce the feather on the side unless I point it out
21.gif
I actually think this is a nice inclusion cause you can always always identify it as your diamond.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results