shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Summer

Rough_Rock
I read an article a while ago that stated the clarity of a diamond could affect how a diamond sparkles. I understand eye visible inclusions could, however, it led one to believe that even inclusions that could not be seen with the naked eye could affect how a diamond would sparkle. Does it have to do with where the inclusion is located and the type of inclusion? I always thought the cut determined the sparkle. Experts, any truth here? Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clarity can affect sparkle but from what I know...only severely included stones would have this happen. If the inclusions were many and were all located say on facet edges --then they may affect how light enters and bounces off the facets..if the inclusion is in the way...etc.

However from what I have read, you really don't have to worry about this in an SI stone..only something like an I1-I3 and even then most likely it would only be very visible to you if the inclusions were many. Or one large inclusion that blocks light.
2.gif
But a few typical pinpoints scattered around shouldn't do much harm.

Chances are there is so much other sparkle going on that you'd be fine. I could see clarity becoming an issue for sparkle in some of those lovely eBay stones that we see pictures of. Not much sparkle going on there.

M_Coupe

Rough_Rock
I've looked at probably 25 stones or so in person (countless online) in the past 3 weeks. The best stone I saw locally (before I purchased online) was a very well-cut SI2. If I "cheated" and looked at the stone from underneath, I could see the inclusion, but face-up it was very very bright and attractive -- plenty of sparkle!

Now check out this 1c "I2" clarity from ebay! Now THERE'S some inclusions interfering with the sparkle!

- Ryan

i2_ebay_ugly.jpg

Summer

Rough_Rock
Mara, Ryan...thanks.

Knowledge is power but I can say that sometimes the more I read the more confused I get!
read.gif

Those E-Bay stones are in a class by themselves to be sure...I don't get it but people sure do bid on those things!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My eyes! My eyes!

I2? More like I12!!!
errrr.gif

M_Coupe

Rough_Rock
LOL @ Mara's freaked-out smiley face!
9.gif
I love ebay as a source of "what NOT to do".

Summer -

I know what you mean about feeling more confused the more you read. Thankfully, this forum is here! It's been a tremendous source of relief it what has otherwise been a very stressfull purchase decision... I'm much better off car shopping!
2.gif

Have you looked at a lot of stones in person? As helpfull as this site (along with goodoldgold) are, I got a LOT out of visiting various local dealers who deal with loose stones. Very valuable research!

Take care!
- Ryan

Summer

Rough_Rock
Ryan,

Car shopping is how I found this article about diamond clarity believe it or not. The site had info on a number of different kinds of purchases. And yes, I think car shopping is easier, as painful as that can be.
6.gif
Diamonds are so unique.

Earlier this year I was shopping for diamond earrings and that's how I found this site. It truly is a wealth of info! I too, found that visiting various B&M’s was especially helpful. Finally a friend of mine recommended someone to me and he went to the NYC Diamond District, and got three pairs for me to view. They were loose stones, all beautiful. I ended up a choosing a pair of e/f vs1 stones. The cut is much like what you chose for your ering.
twirl.gif

Having said that, I may be getting an ering next year and want to suggest to my bf that he purchase it on-line but I'm more comfortable now with this than he is and it's totally his choice.
1.gif

I glad you survived the diamond shopping process so far!
9.gif

Summer

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
This is an SI1 diamond. It has 1 major inclusion that caused the clarity rating. It's right in front of you. Do you see it?
confused.gif

PendantFaceUpView.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Side view. No effect on sparkle what so ever. The key to clarity and inclusions is size/number, type, color, and location.
1.gif

PendantSideView.jpg

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Whoever graded that stone an I2 is from Mars.

Ditto PQ & Mara. Inclusions have to be pretty significant in order to diminish a diamond's sparkle.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/9/2003 12:19:59 AM canadiangrrl wrote:

Whoever graded that stone an I2 is from Mars.

----------------

More like ON Mars, CG! With the diamond on earth.
4.gif

Summer

Rough_Rock
PQ, thanks for posting those pics. I can't say I could see any major inclusion, as you stated, in the photo of your stone. Pretty necklace!
2.gif

flyingharp

Rough_Rock
PQ, I've thought it before, but I'll say it now: that is one GORGEOUS pendant! Clean and simple, elegant yet understated.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Summer and FlyingHarp!

Hey, FH, anyone ever call you Snoopy??!!
9.gif

Summer~ The inclusion is a feather, right in the middle of the diamond. This diamond was cut so the feather lies parallel to the pavillion facets. No one ever sees the feather and it has no effect on performance. Pretty crafty cutting to mask the feather by Brian and his crew at White Flash!
16.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen an inclusion that was hard to see under 10x magnification that under certain light conditions/angles showed up as a magnified bright outline of the inclusion.
To my eye anyway it actualy added sparkle to the diamond because it threw off bright flashes that otherwise wouldnt be there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results