shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond chipping on Inclusion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding previous threads where this was discussed with
Cut Nut and Rockdoc I have been thinking on this some more. Although there is no factual evidence is it not commonsense that a diamond would chip where an inclusion is situated at the edge of the stone. As the stone has already broken so to speak would a tap in that direction not cause a chip or further break?

I am not discussing strain or any such advanced measurements just wondering about commonsense!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pyramid you are persistant.
Diamond breaks because of cleavage.

Please print this and read it (printed reading gets inside your brain better than copmuter screen read stuff).
http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~cjp20/publications/PRL84_5160.pdf

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Pyramid,

My diamond did exactly that!! It was a 1.19 princess cut when my husband bought it loose. It had an inclusion on the corner that would have been hidden by the prong. When the setter set it, it chipped and had to be repolished. It is now a 1.13 carat. While the stone actually graded better due to this little issue, I've always had a nagging feeling that my stone is, well, damaged, or that this is a crock of you-know-what.

My .02 cents, just thought you would be interested in that little story. :)

DG

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pyramid after you do your home work you can explain to Divergirl that her diamond broke on the (111) octahedral cleavage plain - a problem for all princess and emerald cut diamonds - because they are almost always cut with lower girdle facets close to this dangerous plane.

Here is a pun - the octahedral faces are those of two pyramids joined together! That is the ideal crystal habit for natural diamonds. Princess is cut by sawing one perfect crystal in half giving you the basis of 2 princess cuts.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Cut Nut and Divrrgrl.

Cut Nut why does a diamond not chip anywhere other than in a cleavage direction is this because in other directions the diamond is too hard being 10 on the moh's scale?

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
wow, I finally have a problem with cleavage. Exciting. And I thought I never would. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results