shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond check?

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Need to poll the wisdom of this forum. Is this a good diamond for the price? I am looking for a round brilliant 2+ ct but with a focus on the cut (for maximum sparkle).

Clean Origin 2.35 ct

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
The crown and pavilion angles aren't complementary, and as a result there's some leakage under the table.

Would something like this be in your budget?

Thank you for your reply! I didn't realize the angles would not work together. I am looking to stay under 2k! Is it even possible?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your reply! I didn't realize the angles would not work together. I am looking to stay under 2k! Is it even possible?

Yep, absolutely, if you are OK being in the IGI I-K color range.

This one may be one to investigate further:

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Yep, absolutely, if you are OK being in the IGI I-K color range.

This one may be one to investigate further:

Thank you for the options! I was looking to order from either Ritani or CleanOrigin (preferred). Do you have an suggestions from inventory on either of those 2 sites?

Just for my education, what should I be looking for in terms of proportions to get as close to an ideal cut as possible? I tried using the HCA tool on the site but quickly ran out of tries -.-

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the options! I was looking to order from either Ritani or CleanOrigin (preferred). Do you have an suggestions from inventory on either of those 2 sites?

Just for my education, what should I be looking for in terms of proportions to get as close to an ideal cut as possible? I tried using the HCA tool on the site but quickly ran out of tries -.-

I would look at stones with close to these parameters.

depth 60-62.4%
table 54-58%
crown angle 34-35 degrees (can go up to 35.5 or 36 if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees

Generally, a shallower crown angle will pair better with a steeper pavilion angle and vice versa.

I'll take a look at Clean Origin and Ritani.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, these look fantastic. Great options. Were there any a tiny bit larger?

I couldn't find any others on my search. The 2.17 is 8.32mm, while the 2.35 in your OP is 8.49mm. The 0.17mm difference will most likely not be visible to the naked eye.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
I couldn't find any others on my search. The 2.17 is 8.32mm, while the 2.35 in your OP is 8.49mm. The 0.17mm difference will most likely not be visible to the naked eye.

Kim, you're an angel thanks for the help.

Just out of curiosity and for discussion (and this may be a stupid question considering the audience here): do you feel like an ideal cut (or close to it) is worth ~400 difference between a "very good" cut product offering like Lightbox has? I have a LB 2ct round (and am happy with it!) but was curious if one could perceive the difference between cuts and if it would be worth it?

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kim, you're an angel thanks for the help.

Just out of curiosity and for discussion (and this may be a stupid question considering the audience here): do you feel like an ideal cut (or close to it) is worth ~400 difference between a "very good" cut product offering like Lightbox has? I have a LB 2ct round (and am happy with it!) but was curious if one could perceive the difference between cuts and if it would be worth it?

Not at all a stupid question! Those questions come up a lot on the forum.

If it were for myself, I would buy a few Lightbox 2ct stones and keep the one with the best cut and color. For me, an IGI J is a bit too tinted for my eyes, and I think with some buy/return effort on Lightbox stones, it's possible to get a good one. Maybe not as ideal cut as the 2.17, but perhaps close. There are some stones in the Lightbox threads on PS that show nice arrows. Regarding being able to perceive the cut quality difference, IMO one of the best things about an ideal cut diamond is its ability to perform really well in a wide variety of lighting environments. So with a very good cut, you might find that it's a little less bright or a little less fiery in certain environments. It might also be a bit lazy under the table. And side-by-side the differences would be readily apparent. I've found that once I owned an ideal cut diamond, I could never go back. :))

There are more videos like this one showing the differences.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Not at all a stupid question! Those questions come up a lot on the forum.

If it were for myself, I would buy a few Lightbox 2ct stones and keep the one with the best cut and color. For me, an IGI J is a bit too tinted for my eyes, and I think with some buy/return effort on Lightbox stones, it's possible to get a good one. Maybe not as ideal cut as the 2.17, but perhaps close. There are some stones in the Lightbox threads on PS that show nice arrows. Regarding being able to perceive the cut quality difference, IMO one of the best things about an ideal cut diamond is its ability to perform really well in a wide variety of lighting environments. So with a very good cut, you might find that it's a little less bright or a little less fiery in certain environments. It might also be a bit lazy under the table. And side-by-side the differences would be readily apparent. I've found that once I owned an ideal cut diamond, I could never go back. :))

There are more videos like this one showing the differences.

@Kim N thank you for the link! I’ve poured over all of Jon’s videos as well as Jann Paul’s. I feel like until I have an “ideal” cut stone in my possession I won’t really understand the differences IRL though.

I purchased a stunning LB stone a few months back and just went through the exercise of sorting through a few to find my brother a stunner for his Fiancés ER. Here are a few links and videos of those projects.

2ct LB in tapered baguette setting this was taken under my skylights so diffused sunlight in my home no other light source

2ct LB Brothers ER this was taken under jewelry lighting.

I think the value for the LB stones is unbeatable. I’m captivated by the little arrows on mine and I’m not even a huge RB fan (doesn’t suit my finger shape lol) but I can’t deny the sparkle is more intense than my elongated cushion.

I think in order to make this next RB purchase worth it I might have to go up in carat weight so I can justify the purchase (and not going through LB since they only go up to 2ct).

I am going to spend some time sorting through the 2.5-3ct range on clean origin to see what price ranges would make sense. I’d love your help to see what an expert would find in that carat range.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kim N thank you for the link! I’ve poured over all of Jon’s videos as well as Jann Paul’s. I feel like until I have an “ideal” cut stone in my possession I won’t really understand the differences IRL though.

I purchased a stunning LB stone a few months back and just went through the exercise of sorting through a few to find my brother a stunner for his Fiancés ER. Here are a few links and videos of those projects.

2ct LB in tapered baguette setting this was taken under my skylights so diffused sunlight in my home no other light source

2ct LB Brothers ER this was taken under jewelry lighting.

I think the value for the LB stones is unbeatable. I’m captivated by the little arrows on mine and I’m not even a huge RB fan (doesn’t suit my finger shape lol) but I can’t deny the sparkle is more intense than my elongated cushion.

I think in order to make this next RB purchase worth it I might have to go up in carat weight so I can justify the purchase (and not going through LB since they only go up to 2ct).

I am going to spend some time sorting through the 2.5-3ct range on clean origin to see what price ranges would make sense. I’d love your help to see what an expert would find in that carat range.

I didn't realize you already have some great Lightbox stones! You found really good ones. I agree, the value can't be beat.

This would give you about 0.8mm more diameter.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
I added that one to my wishlist and am comparing it to these 2:

I pulled up the measurements/angles you posted up above and these also seem to fit (close). What are your thoughts?

2.53 H VS2
2.55 J VS1

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I added that one to my wishlist and am comparing it to these 2:

I pulled up the measurements/angles you posted up above and these also seem to fit (close). What are your thoughts?

2.53 H VS2
2.55 J VS1

The numbers for the 2.55 are "safer," but I see some pavilion variation, so I'd ask if they could provide an ASET or Ideal-Scope image to check for leakage.

2.53.png 2.55.png

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your reply and looking into these two options. I asked Cleanorigin chat assistance and they said they are unable to provide ASET images of the stones :(

They seem to have a generous return policy so I am considering purchasing a few different options and seeing them myself. Although, I am kind of concerned about my newbie ability to discern quality but I guess if it sparkle sparkles and the price is fair then it's good? LOL

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply and looking into these two options. I asked Cleanorigin chat assistance and they said they are unable to provide ASET images of the stones :(

They seem to have a generous return policy so I am considering purchasing a few different options and seeing them myself. Although, I am kind of concerned about my newbie ability to discern quality but I guess if it sparkle sparkles and the price is fair then it's good? LOL

That's a great idea. Bring them into as many of your usual lighting environments as possible and rock them back and forth on your hand (like in Jon's videos) to compare performance (brightness, fire, and scintillation). You could also buy your own Ideal-Scope.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
That's a great idea. Bring them into as many of your usual lighting environments as possible and rock them back and forth on your hand (like in Jon's videos) to compare performance (brightness, fire, and scintillation). You could also buy your own Ideal-Scope.

I was just "discouraged" to comparison shop by using the return policy by the rep working with me on chat :confused:. But they are unable to help compare the stones by providing additional images of them.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just "discouraged" to comparison shop by using the return policy by the rep working with me on chat :confused:. But they are unable to help compare the stones by providing additional images of them.

Their return policy is no questions asked, so it seems like it shouldn't be a problem. Were you thinking of getting 2-3 stones?

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
I keep going back to the sharp arrows in the video of the 2.17 J you put me on to:

0BAD64CA-E490-4082-86CF-C5BEF3B2C23D.jpeg

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Their return policy is no questions asked, so it seems like it shouldn't be a problem. Were you thinking of getting 2-3 stones?

I have about 5 in my cart. To be fair, one is a pear so 4 rounds to compare. Maybe I can narrow it down further.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
This is what my geeky self has accomplished so far. I am thinking to remove the 2.53 J VS1. The 2.55 and 2.64 look promising. The 2.17 has me intrigued even though I already have a 2ct LB stone but I am curious what it looks like in person in terms of performance.
Snag_13f65de8.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what my geeky self has accomplished so far. I am thinking to remove the 2.53 J VS1. The 2.55 and 2.64 look promising. The 2.17 has me intrigued even though I already have a 2ct LB stone but I am curious what it looks like in person in terms of performance.
Snag_13f65de8.png

You're so organized! :bigsmile: I agree about removing the 2.53 J VS1. It's really not well cut. I don't think I saw the link for it above. The 2.53 I saw above was an H VS2.

This is the HCA for the 2.53 J VS1.

HCA.jpg

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
You're so organized! :bigsmile: I agree about removing the 2.53 J VS1. It's really not well cut. I don't think I saw the link for it above. The 2.53 I saw above was an H VS2.

This is the HCA for the 2.53 J VS1.

HCA.jpg

Yes, that's the HCA for the report in the excel doc! Good catch. The HCA you provided earlier was for the link I gave earlier in the thread. Eagle eyes! I just didn't update my excel sheet with the right info (confusing the 2 stones). Either way, I think both 2.53's are out.

BTW, Do you know if the HCA tool resets every 24 hrs providing 3 attempts or did they get rid of that?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that's the HCA for the report in the excel doc! Good catch. The HCA you provided earlier was for the link I gave earlier in the thread. Eagle eyes! I just didn't update my excel sheet with the right info (confusing the 2 stones). Either way, I think both 2.53's are out.

BTW, Do you know if the HCA tool resets every 24 hrs providing 3 attempts or did they get rid of that?

I think they got rid of that unfortunately.

I agree, neither of the 2.53s are as good as the others.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

Hi Musa, You can purchase 15 more HCA searches for $5.99 and pay with PayPal. (No it does not reset) It's worth it to find the best performing stone. It is an elimination tool. I went through 45 plus searches to find my MRB. I used a few for some posters here on PS too along the way. But Kim and Deja know which angles in what combination will make a great performing stone. Good luck with your search.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results