shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Check please! Does this Oval have a bowtie? Do your worst. [Pics/videos inside]

PonderingPine

Rough_Rock
Still in my return window for this diamond I bought. 3ct D VS1. Does anything stick out as uncharacteristic of a diamond with this color/clarity/size?

Are there any issues that stick out to you guys? I'm a noob but want to make sure this is a good diamond before getting it set / while I'm still in my return window. Pics/videos below:

Videos:
  • Outside - Shade:
  • Outside - sunlight:
  • Inside - overhead lights:
  • Desk light:

Still Photos:

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Yes, it does appear to have a small bow tie. All brilliant cut ovals will. The only way to completely avoid one is to go the crushed ice route.

Last edited:

PonderingPine

Rough_Rock
Yes, it does appear to have a small bow tie. All brilliant cut ovals will. The only way to completely avoid one is to go the crushed ice route.

How bad do you think it is? Would you return and try another? This stone is a GCAL 8x, so I was hoping there wouldn't be one. Or that it would be unnoticeable, rather.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
How bad do you think it is? Would you return and try another? This stone is a GCAL 8x, so I was hoping there wouldn't be one. Or that it would be unnoticeable, rather.

All brilliants have bowties. This is a small one. If it bothers you, I would look for a hybrid or crushed ice variant.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
They all do but this doesn’t look like a bad one. But you will likely notice it more when it’s set so bear that in mind too. It’s just part of a standard oval cut. You can get proprietary oval styles that do not have one but in my opinion they don’t truly look like an oval shape.

PonderingPine

Rough_Rock
They all do but this doesn’t look like a bad one. But you will likely notice it more when it’s set so bear that in mind too. It’s just part of a standard oval cut. You can get proprietary oval styles that do not have one but in my opinion they don’t truly look like an oval shape.

Yeah I gotcha. I guess I'm trying to get a sense for if I should try my luck on another diamond or if this is about as good as I can expect from a good oval.

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
Oh I didn't know he made these in Oval cut. Though I imagine they're going to be quite expensive...

I don't know what you paid but it may indeed have cost less than what a JP H&A cut oval would. You could always call or flick them an email to ask.

My experience - I was just about to buy the most perfect precision cut white flash round diamond, I was aware, of in the biggest size my gf would tolerate (1.5ct) for over 5000 aud (~3200USD). I called JP on a whim after watching his 1hr + video how he came up with the decagon. They had a decagon with better specs at the same size for 4000 aud (~2550USD). It is also not a one to one comparison because the decagon, if the propaganda is to be believed, performs 40-50% better in terms of "light performance" than a "super ideal" cut diamond.

There may be a similar value comparison to be made with the standard cut oval vs the H&A cut. It would at the very least completely eliminate the bowtie effect so something to ask yourself would be how much is that worth to you. Also I have heard the in terms of round cut diamonds at least, higher light performing diamonds can appear bigger than poorer light performing diamonds. As Jax mentioned though, it might not look like a traditional oval, if you absolutely need that then don't hesitate, just get the regular cut oval and be happy!. For me anyway, I value that the diamond cut I am getting as an E ring is special and not very many people in my area will have, The diamond in the video is a massive size (for me) and pretty special in its own way, each to their own I suppose.

For me, at the carat weight my partner wanted, I thankfully wasn't budget constrained. But if I was, and I didn't have a size limit (or minimum), I would have focussed on maximising cut/"light performance" first then work out how much size I could get based on my budget.

The ring is also something that could be factored in. A ring in platinum 950 ruthenium 50, the best common fabrication platinum alloy IMO, would have cost me at least 2000 aud (~1280USD) but JP's was ~1000 aud (~640USD) 18K white gold is half FYI. I also consider JP's ring quality to be very high and it would have been hard for me to match even at the higher price. They are going to be making a custom video of the diamond being set as well which is a pretty big value add IMO.

The diamond in the video to me looks like something special. Sorry if I'm just confusing you, it's a pretty tricky decision as it is!. Consider also I'm no expert so there's that.. Whatever you get will likely represent tremendous value compared to what was available just a few years ago. Inflation seems to be crazy with everything except for diamonds, something, as a buyer, I'm exceedingly grateful for!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results