shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Care Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dozer

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased an e-ring and had it placed in a platinum setting. My fiance teaches swim lessons and it seems that the ring becomes dirty and cloudy looking when she comes out of the wtaer. Does anyone know if chlorine has an effect on a diamond, and if so, should it be avoided?

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
I don't know the specific effects, if any, on a diamond, but my jeweler does not recommend swimming with any jewelry on. He stated that chlorine has an effect on gold but did not report any effect on the diamond. I would just be afraid to lose the ring in the water. In the water, your fingers shrink, so it is easier for a ring to slip off. When I was on my honeymoon I did wear my diamond and wedding band in the water in fear that someone would steal them if they were not on me. At the end of the trip between the salt water and chlorine, my diamond was soooooooooooooo cloudy! It definitely needed a major cleaning. Just another tip, I wear my wedding band on top of my ering if I wear them in the water to secure the diamond on my finger. Just a tip I learned from a friend. However, I have many friends who swim with their erings on without worry. Whenever I am able to, I remove my rings when going into chlorine pool. Hope this helps a little. I really would also like to hear what others have to say.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
No problems with a plat ring in chlorinated water.
The diamond looks duller when it is wet and dirty because the RI has effectively been reduced.
A good clean is all that is needed.
There is a section on this in the tutorial
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results