shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Buying Questions using HCA for non AGS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Isildur

Rough_Rock
Hi-

I spent about 10 - 15 hours reading up all about diamonds. Then I poked around the internet sites (found here and elsewhere) for various prices for the given quality of stone I want. I know what I want, and what in general I'm willing to spend, but I really want to make sure that after all my research I don't end up with a poor quality stone.

The specs I am looking at are: 1 ct. Round Brilliant, VS1 - VS2, D - E, Symmetry EX-VG, Polish EX-VG, Culet none, Fluoresence: None

I know for sure that I want a diamond with a cert, whether AGS or GIA, though after looking at a few stones in B & M stores,
and a few other stones online, I am leaning towards an AGS certified stone. I'm leaning in this direction because of the
published crown and pavilion percentages which I can plug into the HCA. I've specifically been leaning towards
Sym: Ideal and Polish: Ideal stones in the VS2 E range. I've also read online here in the forums that there are other
ways to determine the Crown and pav angles or % which can then be used with HCA. Regardless I am going to
use an independant appraisor for final approval before my purchase, but I think I can weed out a lot of stones on
my own. What is Sarin and is this something retailers would have available?

The diamond will be mounted in platinum. As I've begun to do more research, I'm wondering if I can save a little money
by being open to stones of color F. Doing so would make some nice AGS "ideal" stones more affordable.

I'm tending to find stones in this range of quality in the $7 - $8,000 range online, and in stores they are hard to find at all.
Stones of lower quality than those mentioned above are easily priced from 7,500 - 9,000 around here.

Anyone can offer any tips?

Thanks, Great Site its taught me a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results