shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Buying Experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

paperchase

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone thought I''d share my ring shopping experience.

Background info:

Princess Cut, 1.57, VVS2, E, 70% table, 72% depth, thin-slightly thick girdle, Vg polish + sym. w/ a GIA certificate. $10,006.00

D''Vatche Platinum X-prong comfort fit, with custom engraving (at extra cost) $1,225.00

First, I''d like to thank everyone here who contributes to the web-site. This place is an excellent source of information.

Now, I only ended up here because I had such lousy experiences at B&M merchants. I mean, one in the Los Angeles area tried to get me to buy a 1.52, VS2, G (that also had an inferior cut) for $11,500.00. What a joke! (Of course, that''s before I haggled with her - but why should I have to prove to her that I''m not a sucker to get a good deal?) I started fishing around on the Internet and landed here - and boy was I ever grateful - several thousands of dollars grateful. And to that end, I''d recommend to anyone looking to purchase a diamond - TAKE YOUR TIME. It will save you $$$ in the long run. It took me about 5 weeks to settle on a diamond and ring. (Also make sure there is a 30-day return policy)

After receiving my diamond (and before buying the ring) I had it verified (can''t be too careful) and then (because I am very security conscious) I took my diamond to Gem Trade Labs in Carlsbad for laser-inscribing and GIA certificate updating. (about $160 w/ a 24 hour turn around time... and they are very helpful in answering questions). Since I was leery about sending a diamond to Vatche for "setting" I wanted to be able to verify I got the same diamond back (GIA plots don''t mean a whole lot to me - but I can magnify the diamond and read a report number inscription). For about $22 I USPS registered-insured mail, I sent the diamond to Vatche. Quite literally, they overnighted my ring 2 days after receiving my diamond (and it came with a classy cherry-wood box). Just in time for my secret engagement trip to Portugal/Spain.

So who helped me along the way with this process? Bob H. from Whiteflash. He tolerated numerous e-mails and phone calls - answering my questions thoroughly and patiently. He also talked Vatche into doing some custom work on the ring, including engraving a foreign language and moving the Vatche trademark to a different location. (Not a guarantee of future results.) Moreover, he wasn''t turned off by the fact I had purchased my diamond at a different vendor - the mark of a real professional. (unlike the lady at a B&M who told me that (1) ordering a Vatche ring would take 6-8 weeks, (2) that she would charge $300 to set the diamond, and (3) she was already overcharging for the price of the ring alone - by about $100!)

The end result? I have a top-notch ring and with a little luck, ...a successful engagement. I highly recommend Whiteflash and Vatche - they put a great deal of personal service in their work - even though you might not ever see them face-to-face. I hope to post the ring soon.

Thanks again everyone.

Jason.

mucicstyle

Rough_Rock
PaperChase,

That stone sounds awesome! If my budget was bigger that is one that I would have considered for sure..

Nice story too; I had some similiar experiences at the LA jewelry mart. I also went to Robbins Bros just to see Vatche settings and get an idea of what they are all about. They sell themselves more than the diamond itself. They were pushing a 1.2C princess H VS2, ~72 table and depth for 8400.

I ended up buying from an on-line vendor. I knew all along that it would be the best way to go. I had the diamond shipped to an apriaser, then sent to me. I also had it laser marked. Vatche is making the setting for the stone this week (I hope I get it next week).

I too went with a princess cut. 1.09C E VS1, 66 table, 73.5 depth. I bought it for 6150, and it appraised at 8800 and 10,000 (AGA labs in PA, and Jewelry Judge in Alhambra).

Of course appraisal are based on retail, but I was wondering what yours appraised for? I am interested since mine had such different values.

paperchase

Rough_Rock
Sorry about the delay, I was out of town for the weekend -

On the diamond, Rap is about 8800/ct. (I think that I got the diamond at a 31-32% discount) So, mince might be 13-13.5k retail? The appraisal it came with was from the vendor (so I really didn't believe it - but it was 15k fyi). Since I just got the completed product (set ring)a couple days ago, I have not had the opportunity to get a final appraisal -

Hope that helps.

PS, I got her father's permission over the weekend up in Portland... next stop Lisbon. Thanks again everyone.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
GREAT Story, Jason!
1.gif

The folks at White Flash are AWESOME!
wacko.gif

You must post pics for all of us to see your gorgeous ring! We all love eye candy!
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results