shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allen Pope

Rough_Rock
I am in the market for a AGS/GIA certified 3/4 carat round diamond ring of good quality.
Cut: Ideal possibly a H&A
Clarity: VS2 and above
Color: AGS/GIA "J" or aboveLet me first say it is a great benefit to be able to have a sight like this were you can get such good unbiased information on diamonds. At the top of my list for purchasing a diamond is from Whiteflash.com. My plan for purchasing is to have them send the diamond directly to an independent appraiser, William Lieberum of the Consumers Gem Lab, to verify what I am purchasing. I have used the Halloway Cut Advisor, and all the stones I have considered rate very well.I would like to hear any advice from the experts as well as consumers on how I can make my purchase even more secure. And has anyone had any personal experiences dealing with Whiteflash.com?Thanks,
Allen

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I have heard only positive things from consumers who have purchased diamonds from Whiteflash.They happily send stones to Bill without payment up front and the purchase should be quite smooth.The only hitch I've read about is in consumers getting their full, written appraisal from Bill in a timely fashion. I would get a delivery date in writing from Bill.The only diamonds I like better are EightStars, the ultimate in cutting. My husband bought me an EightStar diamond. If you want to consider them, check out their website at www.eightstar.com. Hope that helps you.
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Allen, Lawmax is right and faster than me
smile.gif
We've heard only positive things about Whiteflash diamonds and services.See for example www.pricescope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000169.html You won't go wrong with them. Checking the stone with Bill L. will give you more assurance of course.Interesting features of the forums like this is that Internet vendors are very particular about their reputation and will make sure you are getting not only excellent diamond but a spotless service as well.Keep us posted. It will be the best protection for you
smile.gif
I'm also interested what Bill L. will say about the diamond.
Good luck
smile.gif

Allen Pope

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input everyone, I will definitely take it into consideration when making my final decision. I will keep you posted on my progress.If any one thinks of any more advice, don't hesitate to write, I check the site almost daily.Thanks again,
Allen

Allen Pope

Rough_Rock
Has any one had dealings with Blue Nile?Thanks,
Allen

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Blue Nile is a good source. Reliable and gives you 30 days money back. We heard many positive feedbacks.They also have Sarin machine in house so you can ask them to provide you with Sarin report for a diamond you interested in.Just be ready to ask all the questions because you already know more than many salespersons.
smile.gif

Allen Pope

Rough_Rock
Thanks Leonid, I will keep you posted on my progress.Allen

Allen Pope

Rough_Rock
I am now the proud owner of a beautiful 0.784 J VVS1 H&A “A cut above” diamond ring from Whiteflash.com. I did have some doubts about buying such an expensive product over the Internet. My biggest concern was how accurate was the information presented. I am happy to say, it was everything Lesley from Whiteflash told me it would be. Just as a note to my fellow novices, if you are able to see your diamond appraised I strongly suggest you do so. I was able to see my diamond appraised by Bill Lieberum in Boca Raton, FL, and it was a great educational experience. You will learn more in those couple of hours than you could ever learn from just reading books.I would like to thank everyone for this great site and the expert advice. The research and information I was able to gain from this site and others allowed me to make a decision that I am completely satisfied with. Another satisfied Whiteflash.com customer.Thanks,
Allen

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your purchase!
smile.gif

Allen Pope

Rough_Rock
I have narrowed my choice down to just a couple of diamonds. I need some professional opinions on cut. I have put both diamonds through the Holloway cut advisor.First diamond: 61.7% depth, 54% table, 34.8 crown angle, 42.9% pavilion, 0% culet
Holloway score: 1.1 ex,ex,ex,vgSecond diamond: 60% depth, 57% table, 14.1% crown, 43.5% pavilion, 0.5% culet
Holloway score: 2.2 vg,vg,vg,ex It is apparent that the first diamond scores better, however is the difference in scores significant enough to actually see a difference in sparkle with the unaided eye?Thanks,
Allen

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Allen,Good to see you again
smile.gif
The first diamond is very close to Tolkowski proportions and most probably a beautiful diamond but cost more.Second one has a shallower crown (about 32 degrees) that compensated by a bit deeper pavilion. It should be quite brilliant and has excellent spread (look larger for its weight).Most probably you will be able to see a difference between them. The second diamond could still be very nice and if priced right can be a good find.Is there any chance you can see them both and compare? What is the price difference?

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Allen:Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure doing business with you - your diamond ring is beautiful! Good luck with the proposal.LesleyH www.whiteflash.com

Allen Pope

Rough_Rock
First diamond:
Holloway: 1.1 ex,ex,ex,vg A Cut Above H&A
AGS certified
Clarity: VVS1
Color: J
Carat: 0.78
Price: $2,785 InternetSecond Diamond:
Holloway score: 2.2 vg,vg,vg,ex
EGL certified
Clarity: SI-1
Color: J
Carat: 0.72
Price: $2,500 B&M storeThe first diamond is definitely a better value when all variables are considered. However the second diamond is very nice, eye clean a lot of sparkle, and the price is average when I checked the “Diamond Price Stats, every thing I want. I have just purchased the first diamond, and it will be here tomorrow, and I intend to do a little stare and compare. If both diamonds where from a B&M store or both from an Internet seller the decision would be easy. What are some questions I should consider to help in my decision making process? And when comparing the diamonds what are some things I can do to really see which diamond is more beautiful?Again thanks again for all the valuable informationAllen

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
You are right Allen. The first one is a better value not only because of clarity and cut but also because it has AGS grading report, which is considered more consistent than in the trade than EGL.It is great that you will be able to compare them together side by side. Try to see them in different lights - bright and dim.Please let us know your verdict
smile.gif

Allen Pope

Rough_Rock
Steve913 just as Leonid said, it is really a matter of personal preference when comparing reliable companies. But just to add my novice advice. The two companies I was really considering were Whiteflash, and Blue Nile. The customer service reps that I spoke to for both companies were very good. I had three main reasons for going to Whiteflash. The first is that their diamonds are branded. From what I have learned from researching is that branded diamonds are more consistent, which is very important being I wasn’t able to see the diamond. Second, Whiteflash had a diamond that fit my taste perfectly namely a “J” color with a very high clarity grade of VVS1 (One of the ways I saved money). Because after speaking with Lesley/Whiteflash and several other people I learned that a Super Ideal cut diamond will appear whiter face up, and it definitely does. It even fooled Bill Lieberum momentarily until he looked through the pavilion. Third, Whiteflash provides you with the tools to examine your diamond. And just to put your mind to rest Whiteflash does provide you with an absolutely beautiful box, that even surpassed my high expectations.Hope this info helps,
Allen

Allen Pope

Rough_Rock
Leonid,I'm still around. I have always had an interest in diamonds, and I am happy to share my experiences with others.
Allen

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Great! Thanks for sparing your time. I'm sure novice consumers will appreciate it.Did you propose already?
smile.gif

Allen Pope

Rough_Rock
No I haven't proposed yet, but it is coming soon.Allen

steve913

Rough_Rock
thanks for the reply.I was thinking of Mondera just from their reputation, and thru emailing a representative there and the fact that they give you a nice box and ribbon
smile.gif
hey, this is kind of off topic, but my parents live in Toronto but I'm in Maryland. With conversion rates and TAX, is there any advantage to buying one in Canada vs. US vs. online-USD?thanks!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Most diamonds in Canada are imported and their price already includes exchange rate.Those that have Canadian origin are even more expensive because of marketing.Martin Shiffield, USA Certed Diamonds, operates from Canada but all his sources are from the US.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Steve913, I think it's a matter of personal preferences. Companies like Blue Nile and Mondera are very reliable and give overall good service. Smaller companies like Whiteflash, USACertedDiamonds, DirtCheapDiamonds, GoodOldGold, JewelryZone and others are very reliable too. You might also find more personal approach and knowledgeable people there.It depends what sort of diamond and service you are looking for. For instance, Whiteflash and USACertedDiamonds specializing in branded ideal Hearts and Arrows diamonds.You might want just to call different companies and listen how they sound and answer your questions.

steve913

Rough_Rock
How do you guys compare Whiteflash, Mondera, (and others)? I'm looking for quality and reliability and reputation.. I'm leaning towards online stores because of the savings in tax.. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results